Commercial Flotation Alternatives

Moderator: GreenLake

Commercial Flotation Alternatives

Postby Marv Irwin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:03 pm

Greetings from Northern Ontario,

My long suffering spouse has agreed to accompany me to the Toronto International Boat Show in early January. My shopping list is potentially very long, but she has firmly set the ground rules for this excursion.....No new boat....and only a modicum of "necessary" accessories.

Since I am no longer 18, and since I had the pleasure of a couple of knock-downs this year, we have agreed that only "stuff" which makes it less likely that I might kill myself will be allowed.

I am a crummy swimmer at the best of times (but always wear approved flotation), so I wonder if the collective has any suggestions about comercial flotation options. I have replaced the bow and bunk compartments with noodles and also attached closed cell foam under the gunwales. Does anyone know makes or models of flotation bags (or other devices) for which I could search at the show?

I still have some negotiating time left.........any other suggestions for "toys" I could look for (and then plead temporary insanity if she catches me)????

Regards,
Marv
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby algonquin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:55 am

There are some commercial products available. Try BoatUS.com or Hamiltonmarine.com. Problem is making them fit well without taking away additional room. Lots of noodles really will work great and be much less costly.

You could stuff several 1 gallon empty water containers into the lockers and also into a duffle bag that would stuff under the transom shelf. Strap or bungy a duffle filled with the jugs to the mast in the cuddy.

I would invest in a high quality personal flotation device that would support you even if you were unconscious. How about a cycling helmet to keep the boom from knocking you silly. Another item would be a whistle worn on your neck so if you do lay your boat over and go for a swim you could alert some help if you need it.

Another help for us older sailors would be a folding type boating ladder to help you get back into the boat.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Re: Commercial Flotation Alternatives

Postby MarcCram » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Marv,
I've only come across two products, both sold by Annapolis Performance Sailing (www.apsltd.com) -Not an endorsement, I haven't done business with them yet- They are made by Holt Allen (PVC Bags) and Crewsaver (Nylon Bags). I've been thinking of using one in the bow section but haven't come to the conclusion if they provide more/less buoyancy then say noodles.

Cheers,
Marc

Marv Irwin wrote: Does anyone know makes or models of flotation bags (or other devices) for which I could search at the show?
MarcCram

Postby calden » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:14 pm

When I bought my boat I found that the original blue styrofoam blocks under the seats were pretty waterlogged, and had been for some time. I put in access hatches and dug out the blocks., then stuffed my boat with swim noodles. I lucked out, finding boxes of them on sale at K-Mart for $.99 each. I bought 50 of them and have a bunch left over. I still want to find a way to put several under the coamings stuffed behind the seats (DSI) and under the transom area.

I also made up a bunch of 1-liter bottles with the screw caps sealed with silicone. I still am thinking of finding a way to stuff them into a larger plastic bag, maybe a net bag, then under the transom.

I suspect there are lots of ways to throw floatation in this boat without spending a ton of money.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Miscellaneous