movies with sailboats

Moderator: GreenLake

movies with sailboats

Postby adam aunins » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 am

I am in need of a boat fix. To many other projects in the garage taking my space, time and money to pull a boat in and work on it. I'm looking for movies that have good sailboat footage in them. Also any good instructional videos that show action more than close ups of the host running their mouth. Something on sail trim would be great if you know of it. Chime in if you know of any good titles. p.s. I'll watch a piece of cr@p movie if there's good boat stuff in it.
adam aunins

Postby calden » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:48 am

A couple that come to mind are the drama White Squall and the thriller Dead Calm with Nicole Kidman and Sam Neill in it. She's on a boat with her husband taking a cruise after a miscarriage or child death (can't remember which), and they run into a psycho guy in the middle of the ocean. Good sailboat footage in both of them. Captain Ron always comes up as a sailing movie. Funny, too.

Then there's always Master and Commander for the big-boat feel, or better yet, the Horatio Hornblower mini-series for TV, available via Blockbuster online.

There are lots of instructional videos out there - I got one from our library on basic dinghy sailing, set in SF Bay in the early 80's. Not very sophisticated production, but it was great to see them setting up the boat and doing basic maneuvers. I also dug the clothes and hairstyles and cars and scenery - I was a graduate student in SF in the early 80's and it was very nostalgic for me.

Can't wait to see the suggestions. I'm hurting under a foot of snow.

Carlos
Last edited by calden on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS I #1653
calden

sailing movies

Postby gary l. britton » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 am

Adam:

Lots of video's on 'sailingtexas.com'. He usually puts a new one on almost everyday. So far there are two months of videos, some good and some not. There is also a video gallery on the website and it has lots of instruction videos and sailing videos on Texas lakes. Kind of fun to browse through.

Looks like the ground hog is going to see his shadow today and that does not bode well for an early spring. But one can hope that the pesky creature will be wrong in his predictions.

Fair winds.

Gary
"Dancing Girls II", #3235
1966, DS I
gary l. britton

Postby shawn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Masquerade with Rob Lowe and Meg Tilly, Message in a Bottle with Kevin Costner and probably the best sailing footage the FF Coppola movie Wind with Matt Modine and Jennifer Grey. These didn't win any oscars so don't complain about the acting or story lines, they just happen to have some nice sailing scenes and are entertaining enough to watch.

Shawn
shawn

Postby Phill » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:02 pm

+1 for "Wind"
First 10 mins or so, best dinghy racing footage ever in a feature film.
Good America's Cup footage at the end.
Phill

Postby calden » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Let's also not forget Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation, with Jimmy Stewart. Not only do he and his son rent a small sailboat and get lost in the fog, but, but, but...

IT'S A DAYSAILER!

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby jpclowes » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:28 am

If you are looking online, there are several videos out of Sydney Harbour 18' skiffs. They are sailing's answer to NASCAR. High performance, high speed, high traffic (I saw one where a skiff got run over by a harbour ferry. They race with all the other regular harbour traffic all around them,) and high crash factor. Several of the competitors wear helmet cameras for onboard perspective, which is even better when the person wearing the onboard cam falls overboard, or the boat capsizes. :shock:
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

WIND

Postby bkafer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:56 pm

WIND IS MY FAVORITE SAILING MOVIE
They lose the americas cup, then design a new boat to try and win it back.
Good sailing good story line. I give it 2 thumbs up.
bkafer

Postby adam aunins » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 pm

I haven't seen "Dead calm" since the sailing bug bit me, and all of the video stores in my area do not have it. Watched " Yours mine and ours" the other day , good movie for the kids but very little boat action. Rented "White squall" tonight. I will have to make a list of titles and start hunting for them.
adam aunins

Postby Adrift » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Dittos on Captain Ron ... required for all sailors. :D

For grins I went to youtube & put in sailing education:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

quite a few hits but only a few seem useful.
Adrift

Postby adam aunins » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 pm

YES it's been awhile for Captin Ron, will have to watch that one again. All thought I'm running into the problem that most boat movies have to do with the boat sinking! Not the best thing for my wife to see, I'll never get her to do a charter in the caribbean islands watching all those.
adam aunins

Postby adam aunins » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:36 pm

I've watched a lot of the you tube stuff. This is a short video of what I think my next boat will be, maybe, hopefully, who knows. Dreaming is free at least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgJfl73eX0. Joe vs. the volcano is another movie that has a little bit of sailing, boat sinks of course!
adam aunins

Return to Miscellaneous