Annapolis Discoverer 17' Refurb

Moderator: GreenLake

Annapolis Discoverer 17' Refurb

Postby Discoverer138 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 am

Hello Everyone. My girlfriend and I purchased a Annapolis Discoverer #138 a few weeks back with a trailer, sails, and most all the rigging and equipment. I decided tonight since I cannot find any info on this boat, I would start a refurb thread, and post our progress every weekend. Hoping we can find someone one here who knows some stuff about these boats. To me it looks mostly like a DS1, that is why im posting it under this subject.
When we got the boat, it was very solid, just really dirty. It was definatly in need of some TLC. It had gelcoat grazing all over the deck and cuddy cabin of the boat. There was a little crack in one of the stiffiners under the cuddy cabin, but over all in great condition. The hull is great shape, just an ugly color. Hope you all enjoy, and if anyone knows about these boats please PM us.
Please take a look at out Personal Gallery for picture updates.
Here is a picture of the boat now.
Last edited by Discoverer138 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Discoverer138

Postby algonquin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Welcome. :)

It does look to be in pretty good shape and bears quite a resemblance to a DS. Did it have any markings or builder identification on it ? Also wondering the beam measurement and mast length ? Sail condition ? Looking forward to seeing your progress. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Discoverer138 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:42 pm

It looks like an DS1 but the plate says "Annapolis Discoverer". I think it resembles the O'Day but there are a few subtle differences. We just got the hull sanded and are still working on a few fiber glass fixes, but after that, we should be ready to paint and a few odds and ends her and there of course. I'm not sure of the measurments. I will have to take them for future reference. The sails need a little sew work on one of the wooden battons in the main, and there is a small patch someone put on the bottom of the main, but other than that, they are in great condition, for being original.
Discoverer138

Postby Discoverer138 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:28 am

Well, haven't done an update on here in a while, so ill give you the low down. The weather here in Norfolk hasn't been that coperative to work the boat. We have all the sanding done on the top, and the cuddy cabin, and have started the sanding on the hull. In the meantime, we have got to tear the trailer apart, and refurb that. We took the trailer all the way down to the frame only, primed and painted the frame, and then started putting all the new parts on. Let me tell you that if you are refurbishing a trailer, Northern Tool Company will become your friend. They have all the parts you'll ever need to redo the trailer, and more. I replaced the leaf springs, bears, bearing buddy, jack, & winch. All of the parts only came to about $120. Not to bad to virtually have a new trailer. We also replace the boat supports, along with the brackets for the supports. I just hope that the Lowes outdoor carpet we got will hold up alright. Take a look at our Personal Gallery for the finished trailer pictures. We will keep you posted as the weather heats up and allows us to start painting the boat.
Discoverer138

Postby Discoverer138 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Well, we finally got some desent weather to do alittle painting. We put a nice coat of Petitt EasyPoxy on the interior of the boat. We got the cuddy cabin, along with the seat benches, and the bilge area painted. Weather is supposed to warm tomorrow and the next day, so might be able to get a coat on the topside. Take a look at our profile pictures to see the progress...
Discoverer138

Postby calden » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am

Nice job with the primer.

Your picture caption called for color suggestions. My boat is a great shade of teal, but I call it sea-foam green. Not only does this look great as a color, it's much easier on the eyes than white, especially in any place that has sun.

I also have another boat with white deck and cockpit, and the glare can get to me after several hours on a sunny, hot, low-wind day.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Almost Done!

Postby Discoverer138 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 pm

Here is an updated photo from yesterday. We have just completed painting the topside, the tread and repairing everything on the inside and topside. We are still working on the hull paint job and repairing the actual centerboard. Should be complete in about two more weeks! Check out our gallery for more photos of the transformation!! Let us know what you think.

Last edited by Discoverer138 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Discoverer138

Postby algonquin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 am

You have made lots of progress and the workmanship looks very nice. I have similar plans for my DS1 but she still rests in her cocoon tarp under about a foot of snow. I have started some woodworking projects for her including a bowsprit with an eagle figure head and have restored the floor boards, tiller, and original spinnaker pole. Will try to get some updated pics posted. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

discoverer 221

Postby ktcdvm » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Great job. I have Discoverer 221. Kids and I are slowly working on it. Repaired mast tabernacle, repaired cracks in cuddy roof deck, new stern rope traveler set up, paint top and bottom. repaired rudder, applied name and goofy drunken horse applique to stern. The kids love it.
Kevin
"Stewball"
Annapolis Discoverer #221
ktcdvm

were all watcihing and waiting

Postby bkafer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:46 am

Were looking for an update. Hows the boat coming.

I still have lots of projects for my boat , but now that its in the water I only have time ti sail. The rest of my projects will have to wait till next winter.
bkafer

Sorry guys and gals

Postby Discoverer138 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am

Well, the weather has not been cooperating with us. It has taken about 5 weeks to paint the boat. Finally yesterday, the weather cleared up enough for us to put out last two coats on it, and wa la. Here she is. All painted 90% done. Heading to West Marine today to get few parts, and hope to hanger the motor mount on her today. Just wanted to post a quick reply. We will come on later and go more in detail. Wasting presious time sitting inside on the computer.[/img]
Last edited by Discoverer138 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discoverer138

Painting Finally Complete

Postby Discoverer138 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, we finally are finished painting. Five coats of blue and three coats of black of Rustoleum Top Coat marine paint. It actually turned out great! Very shiny. Look at our gallery for more photos of the painting process and putting the boat right side up back on the trailer. We just mounted our 3hp engine on the back. Still fixing a few odds and ends things, but it's almost complete. Should be able to have it on the water soon. If you have any questions about the refurb so far, feel free to message us!

Discoverer138

Annapolis Discoverer Photos

Postby Discoverer138 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Discoverer138

Postby adam aunins » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:03 pm

"Rustolium Top Coat marine paint" I've seen the Rustolium paint but never in a "marine" is that a joke or did you find some? If so can I see a picture of the can?

Your paint job looks great. What tools/methods did you use to apply the paint?
adam aunins

Rustoleum Topside Marine Paint

Postby Discoverer138 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Nope. Not a joke. We were at Lowes one day, and found this paint on the shelf. They have a topside paint, and they also have a bottomside. The Rustoleum TopSide is only $11 a quart, instead of the $40 for a high grade marine paint. The paint seems pretty good. We thinned the paint about 30% and applied it by rolling and tipping with a 4 inch foam brush. It turned out like glass. Just a little bit more work, and we should be sailing.

Discoverer138

Next

Return to Miscellaneous