Day Sailer Specs

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer Specs

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 1997 1:00 am

I am looking at buying what I believe is an older model day sailer. The man selling mentioned he thought it was a fifteen foot o'day osprey. I am wondering if such a boat exists and also how I can tell if it is a daysailer and how to figure out the year.

Don Calder (calders-at-sover.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 1997 1:00 am

I have never heard of a fifteen foot O'Day Osprey, but O'Day did make a fifteen foot O'Day 15, it is pretty fast.

Does this boat have a cutty? All Day Sailers have cuttys. Check the identification plate. If it is a older one it should have a brass plate inside the hull, or newer Day Sailers have mfg. no. molded into the transom.

When you find the class no., not the hull no., check out Dave Misunas chart of hull numbers at:

<A HREF='http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm'>http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm</A>

Good Luck and Happying Sailing

Gus Heismann

Gus Heisamnn (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 1998 1:00 am

O'Day did build a boat called the Osprey in the 60's. It was the nect boat down in the line. I would assume that the O'Day 15 was a redesign of the Osprey and that it came along about the time the DS I was 'redesigned' to become the DS II.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:17 am

I have owned an Oday Osprey since 1969. It is the 16' 3" forerunner to todays Oday Daysailer. It has a cuddy that is a good bit smaller than the daysailer as the mast runs through the foredeck. Lots more wood (gunnels, floorboards, etd. Great little family boat fast yet stable Don

Don (moxman6251-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:05 pm

I have an O'Day brochure from the 1960's illustrating and giving the specs of all their boats. They built one then called the Ospray [sic] which was 15'8" long. It had a cuddy and was similar to the Day Sailer but smaller. The DS1, 16'9" long, is in the same brochure, so the Ospray was not the forerunner to it, but was built at the same time and was their next smaller model.

Burt (bbbryan1-at-earthlink.net)

Return to Miscellaneous