life jackets

Moderator: GreenLake

life jackets

Postby Guinness » Mon May 19, 2008 8:55 pm

As I continue to work on getting my Daysailer back into shape and on the water, I will soon need to invest a couple of life jackets. There's an awful lot of choices/price ranges out there.

I was curious as to what some of the other readers of this forum had in the way of advice or experiences with the various types, i.e. vests, inflatables, and the like.

-Guinness
Guinness

Postby algonquin » Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 am

I prefer a water ski type jacket/vest that fits close to my body and allows free movement of my arms and torso.

I also carry the May West types on board in the event I get into heavy weather and fear a chance that I may turtle my boat. These are bulky but they do provide additional buoyancy and as a result work better if you have been injured.

Throwable type flotation cushions should also be carried. You never know when you may need a little extra measure of safety or may need to respond to another boat in trouble.

The new inflatable vests seem ok but I have never used them. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby adam aunins » Tue May 20, 2008 5:14 pm

I also like the ski/vest style but after I got my sunfish and started spending more time in the water (ie. capsized) I bought a kayak style vest that has zippered pockets to keep the things I really can't stand to lose ,like car keys. I don't get as hot in the kayak style of vest ether.
adam aunins

I too prefer the kayak style of vest

Postby Roger » Tue May 20, 2008 11:41 pm

It rides higher at the back so does not bunch up when seated, has larger arm holes generally to facilitate movement, and of course net pockets for things live gloves, bars, etc. make sure to attach a whistle to the zipper.
Roger

life jackets

Postby kokko » Wed May 21, 2008 9:41 am

It may sound trite, but true nonetheless. The best jacket is the one you wear. I found the standard closed-cell foam type to be very hot, and my motion was restricted. I bought inflatables for my wife and I a few years ago and like them very much. They are light, unobtrusive, and I wear it always when I race, when the wind is up, or I am on big water. THe only time I may not is during gentle cruising.
kokko

Postby adam aunins » Wed May 21, 2008 4:14 pm

As far as wearing life vests goes, my rule is if they can pass the swim test they don't have to.

The swim test is staying afloat for fifteen min.

It starts with me hitting them in the head with the boom as hard as I can.
So far everyone has just worn a life vest instead of taking the swim test. :wink:
adam aunins

Postby Guinness » Fri May 23, 2008 10:37 am

Okay, now that I've finished cleaning the tea off of my screen, I've got to say that was one of the funnier things I've read in a long while. Thanks!

-Guinness
Guinness

Postby albanysailer » Sun May 25, 2008 9:04 am

My wife and I just purchased (matching :oops:) kyack type vests through West Marine this weekend.

They are having good sales for Memorial Day, plus I think it is boat safety week. We had bought the Mae West types before, but found them too bulky and restricting. Went with the kyack type for the reasons everyone else has; less restricting, pockets, etc. I think ours were $60 ea.
albanysailer

PFDs

Postby kokko » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 am

I favor the inflatable also, but I keep two closed cell foam PFDs aboard too.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Miscellaneous