Heaving to as a bad weather strategy

Moderator: GreenLake

Heaving to as a bad weather strategy

Postby Marv Irwin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Greetings to the collective,

Winds have been heavier than usual for this time of year in Northern Ontario and I must confess that I've been out when perhaps I should have been sitting at the dock enjoying a glass of merlot. Unfortunately, the young bride has also been on some of these adventurous trips so I'm finding it more dificult to get her to come along. My boat defintely is less touchy when two people are aboard. If I don't rebuild her confidence, I'm going to be singlehanding for the rest of the summer.

I've done a little research on "bad weather strategies" and heaving to under reduced sail is mentioned as an option.

My questions are (with the caveat that SAFETY FIRST is always the best choice):
-- Is heaving to a reasonable strategy for the Daysailer?
-- Could someone outline the steps for heaving to in a Daysailer.

Regards,
Marv
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby calden » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Marv:

I've done this before.

As you tack the boat, say going from port tack to starboard tack on a close reach, don't release the jib sheet. Leave it on starboard where it was for your port tack - this is backing the jib.

As the boat turns through the wind the sheeted jib will want to push you to a starboard tack. Push the tiller hard towards port, as if you were making a hard starboard turn. Let the main luff.

The only thing missing from this diagram is the tiller position. If you drew the tiller on, it would be at the same angle as the jib sail.

Your boat will slow and kind of slowly sidewind in the water. Practice this in light winds a few times and it will be your friend.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Sean McGuire » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Marv,

Heaving to works well for a short break - getting a snack out of the cuddy, etc. But if you are in bad weather (too much wind, storm approaching, etc.) I recommend dropping sail and motoring home - live again to sail another day. Does your main have reef points? If so, you can reduce sail and stay out in stiffer winds and still have control. If you don't have reef points, you can get a reefing claw and use roll-reefing instead.

Fair winds,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Heavy weather

Postby Daniel Westfall » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:57 pm

I would like some information from the wise ones on winds. What is the accepted winds for good safe sailing and when does that turn into a period of concern and then outright get the sails down. I have a reefing claw but have never used it. Could you give a run down on winds i.e.1-15 safe? 16-25 ? and so on. Gusts also are of some concern. Thanks.
Daniel Westfall

Return to Miscellaneous