Going on 3 years.

Moderator: GreenLake

Going on 3 years.

Postby Aquanaut » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Hello all, I think I may have found my home. Good to see an active community.

About 3 years ago, I purchased what I believe to be a Day Sailer.

No hull numbers, only a faded placard that reads "American Boat Builders, Co." I can't find anything on this company, or the designs they made.

Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dave.davis.it/BoatPictures

The trailer was made in 68, so I can only assume that it is somewhere around the same age.

I paid 200 bucks for the hull, some holey sails, and a trailer.

There was grass growing in the bottom of the hull (In the 2 inches of dirt. They never covered it.) And the deck had "bubbling" underneath the gel coat.

Anyway, hours of sanding, grinding, and a half gallon of West System epoxy later, I have a presentable deck after paint.

I've refinished the teak coaming, and a teak console that goes over the centerboard. Patched the sails, and re-slugged them for easy hoisting.

I've cut new stringers and refinished the floorboards.

The mainsail I have is actually for a Snipe II.

I have been itching to get this baby rigged and tested. I have no clue where to start. Most of the blocks are deteriorated beyond use.

I'm not looking to race (yet). Just to get a basic rig setup for some cruising.

I see some of the pics on the site, but nothing showing how to rig this boat for basics. I need to purchase new blocks and cam cleats. Any recommendations? I trust the Harken name.

Any help on identifying this beauty, or help on getting it rigged right would be appreciated. :)
Aquanaut

Postby kokko » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:27 am

I don't think it's a DS. THe cuddy top is wrong, and the seats are wrong. THe DS seats are sealed to provide positive flotation.

I have a couple of daysailer guides at home. Send me some measurements - LOA, LWL, beam and I will see what fits.
kokko

Postby Aquanaut » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:45 pm

I should reiterate. American Boatbuilding Corporation is the company placard I found. and a faded felt patch ABA One-Piece.

Keeping in mind, this MAY NOT be a factory DS. There may have been modifications to it.

When I started, the one of the seats was converted to a makeshift beer cooler. :) The rear compartments were filled with deteriorated foam. I've seen DS's with "half-cockpits" or "3/4" and full length seats.

This boat is OLD (probably pushing 45). It sure smells like it when I start sanding.

LOA = 15'8"
BEAM = 70"
LWL = 14'8" (I measured the waterline mark along the length of the boat, this would be shorter on paper?? Approx by 12-18 inches??)

Mast Length = 20'6"

I've never had it in the water, so I don't know how long the centerboard is.

There is a lever to drop it once you are underway.

The length of the compartment that holds it is a 52" long, so it should be safe to say the centerboard is 4 feet. Probably a total draft of 5 feet.

That's the best I can do on the measurements. I hope it matches something. I'll do my best to give more details if needed.

I race a Cal29 on Wednesdays, and would like to start racing small boats to practice my skippering skills, I would hate to get to registration and have to answer "What design?"

She looks like she could go like a raped ape. (Based on similar designs)
Aquanaut

Postby Aquanaut » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm

UPDATE!!

You aren't going to believe this...

After searching for what this boat is for 3 years...

There was a gentleman by the name of George William McVay Sr. who lived in Providence, Rhode Island.

He was an accountant by trade but worked as a Colgate salesman.

Colgate wanted him to move to NYC, and he didn't want to relocate his family there so he took a job at American Boat Company of Providence, Rhode Island (later known as Paceship). He had a hobby of fixing up derelict boats.

While working there building boats, he designed a boat called the Falcon 16.

American Boats (now Paceship) bought a plant in Nova Scotia, and moved there to become plant manager. After some time they wanted him to become a Canadian citizen, and he didn't want to, so he moved back the US and started McVay Fiberglass Yachts. He took his Falcon design (and others) with him.

Now...If my calculations are correct. I have a Falcon 16, built by American Boat Building Company, between 1962 and 1965. Possibly built by George himself.

This story just gets better.

Thanks for all your help.

I hope the pic and story help someone else with their lost story.
Aquanaut

Return to Miscellaneous