DS Novice questions

Moderator: GreenLake

DS Novice questions

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 02, 1998 1:00 am

Wow, I feel like I just hit the jackpot by finding this Day Sailer webpage/discussion group.

I inherited a '59 DS from my father-in-law when he upgraded to a Catalina 25. He had refinished the hull and all of the existing woodwork. However, not having any of the original documentation or even old pictures to go by, I don't know some of the basics about my boat. For instance, I didn't know until today that she is supposed to have floorboards.

More importantly, I can't find anyone who knows how the mainsheet is supposed to be rigged. I've been sailing her for a year with the mainsheet rigged between the cleat on the center-board box and the block in the middle of the boom. That arrangement has worked well for me, but on a broad reach provides almost no down-haul effect. So, how do I utilize the blocks at the stern to create a down-haul effect?

J.T.Ellis (jtellis-at-slc.twc.com)

I, too, am new to this page. For nearly two years I thought I had the only Daysailer in existence. My mainsheet is held into a fitting at the end of the boom with a figure-eight knot, led through the port block at the stern, through the stbd block at the stern (under the tiller) up to a single block on the end of the boom, through a single block mid-boom, then down to the cleating arrangement on the centerboard box. This gives no more advantage as a downhaul, but at least it uses up those blocks in the stern quarters. A previous owner removed about 18" from the cuddy on Jaily, which gives me a BIG cockpit and the possibility of rigging a vang (I haven't tried yet). You might try my alternate solution (also untried) of rigging a two-part tackle to the boom, then fastening the lower end to the chainplate on the appropriate side. Not as self-tending as a vang, but would help prevent accidental gybes and give a little more effective sail area when downwind.

Bill Blackburn (bblackburn-at-cmis.corr.ca.gov)

Here's what I've been doing. It's similar to Bill's method but not exactly. In any case, it's probably not the proper way but it works for me.

My DS2 has the two blocks on the port and starboard sides of the stern. I take a length of rope and run it between the two blocks until I make a loop going between them. I then tie my mainsheet onto the top of the loop and run it through the block on the end of the boom, then through the block at mid-boom and then down to the centerboard box and through the swiveled cleat. This gives an appearance similar to what I've seen on Flying Scots that I've crewed on, although I think they accomplish this with one rope. The loop has to lie across the top of the tiller in this arrangement.

I'm new to this too...maybe someone who really knows the proper way to rig the boat can set us straight. I'd be happy to put some pictures of rigging arrangements up on the site.

Can't wait 'til winter is over!

Mike Boone (BooneDocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 03, 1998 1:00 am

Like Bill, I use a boom vang to prevent the boom from lifting. However, I think his method is a bit risky; I attach the bottom of the vang to a line through the sheet cleats on the cuddy top. This is not ideal, because the cleats are a bit too far aft of the mast for this purpose, but it works ok. I might move the bottom of the vang to a line around the mast just below the hinge.

I'm also wondering how to modify my mainsheet, because the 3:1 advantage at mid-boom is not enough in a stiff breeze. The Flying Scott uses a 4:1 at the end of the boom, running down to a "traveler" which is merely an eye in the top of the rudder (which locks down), and forward to mid-boom then down to the centerboard. The after end of the tackle is prone to foul if a motor is on the transom, but it is triple the advantage of the DS2!
What is the easiest way you know to rearrange the mainsheet on the DS2? Do you know a way that can easily be switched over if winds slacken or freshen? I sure hope Mike gets enough feedback to post pictures or descriptions of different methods!

Eric Posmentier (eposment-at-titan.liunet.edu)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 03, 1998 1:00 am

My DS 1 came with an original copy of the rigging instructions. They were published for the three dinghys that the O'Day Corporation built at that time, the Day Sailer, Ospray and Javelin. I think this may help you out...

"Take the free end of the mainsheet and thread it through the blocks on the port, then the starboard side on the stern of the boat, and up through the block on the cantre of the boom, and finally, on the Day Sailer only, down through the cam action mainsheet cleat which is mounted on the centerboard trunk. Tie a figure 8 knot at the end of the mainsheet so you won't lose it."

The mainsheet that was supplied with the boat had an eye at one end that was attached to the one end that is attached to a fitting at the outboard end of the boom with a shackle.

Can't wait till the snow melts..

Eric Sunstrum (esunstru-at-sprint.ca)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 1998 1:00 am

Am fairly new to sailing but no dummy..(PS-see about elec trolling motor). Any way I need help here. My boat has a boom vang but no place to attach it. Mast was replaced after a fire at a marina warehouse storing mast.. Anywhoo...After reading a book called "The handbook of Sailing" by Bob Burns...I may NOT need it!!! My down-haul is at the center of my boom and attached to the middle top of my center board housing and has "jaws" to clamp it. Since it's at the middle of the boom maybe no Vang is neccesary? I have NO travellers and it seems to be a CLEAN arrangement.. Any Comments?

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

I agree that a boom vang is not absolutely necessary. I do however spend a lot of time on the water racing boats that don't know they are racing me. When I am losing my imaginary "America's Cup", the first thing I do is adjust my boom vang. It is certainly a valuable trimming device, especially with less than pristine sails on a broad reach!
My boom vang (DS1) is attached to the mast just above the cabin top by a shackle attached to an eye that is riveted to the centre line of the mast. On the bottom of the boom, (about twice the distance from the gooseneck as the mast fitting) there is a fitting that resembles a keyhole. The top block of the vang has a button fitting that slips in the keyhole that attaches the vang to the boom. If your boat doesn't have this fitting, I am sure that you could rig an eye and shackle that would do the same thing.

As Elvis would say, "Vangs, Vang ya very much"

Eric Sunstrum (esunstru-at-sprint.ca)

I don't race and don't have a boom vang, however, there is a DS fleet at the Orleans Yacht Club on the Cape, and all the boats that race there do have vangs.

Steve Max (75264.153-at-Compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 15, 1998 12:00 am

Wow, I am a true novice's novice. Where can i find a glossary of all of the terms that you experienced sailors are using? I just bought a DS and have never sailed before, but thought I might as well get something good. The price was right (I thought). Now I have to go out and learn how to do this. To Steve Max: do you live on the cape as I do? Perhaps I can find out some of this at the yacht club. although they would probably laugh me out of the driveway, well gotta start somewhere, everyone else did. Thanks for any help.

Fred Menschel (fred-at-roadworksauto.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 19, 1998 12:00 am

Fred,

I can't think of any DS Class Association member who would 'laugh you down the driveway' for asking questions. We are always happy to find new people to share our enthusiasm for sailing and the DS in particular.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 09, 1999 12:00 am

I am new to DS. What is the difference between I,II,and III.

Jack Fair (gabriel-at-ids.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 1999 12:00 am

Jack,
Use the link at the bottom of the home page for this site to go to the Day Sailer Association web site. In the top left corner of their home page, you'll see a link for "newbies". Taking that link will get you to a series of articles of interest to people just starting with DS's. The one by Vince Lydanne discusses the relative attributes of the different models of Daysailers. In short, DS1's and DS2's have the same hull and can race together under the one-design association rules. DS2's have a different deck and hull liner arrangement from 1's, and have a cable-operated centerboard vs. the direct handle-operated centerboard in the 1's. The racers seem to have a strong preference for DS1's. You won't find much written about DS3's, but they have a different hull than the 1's and 2's and are not sanctioned or governed by the Daysailer Association

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Jack, the DS 1 has wooden floor boards and wooden trim, called coamings. It also has a completely open cuddy design, giving more storage room. If this is your first Day Sailer, as it was mine last season, be careful. You will get bitten by the bug and then all is downhill. You will be eating, drinking, and literally (not) sleeping as you think about sailing. Do take some lessons from someone who knows. It is much like skiing, your friends can teach you, but experience will prove invaluable. The DS 1 seems to be the most desirable among purists, which you will probablu become as time goes on.

Has anyone found the miracle product to bring back the gelcoat on the topside?

Fred Menschel (FRED-at-ROADWORKSAUTO.COM)

AND THE MAGIC SOUTION IS........PAINT! (depending on how bad the surface is gone)

Check the recent "Sail" magazine for tips and how-to's on painting.

Barry (bfk-at-sdcity.org)

Return to Miscellaneous