trailer rollers leaving black marks on hull

Moderator: GreenLake

trailer rollers leaving black marks on hull

Postby adam aunins » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

When I bought my boat the trailer only had one keel roller on it. I lucked out last summer and found someone on craigslist selling the rollers off of a trailer ,that they were striping down, for next to nothing. I now have my trailer set up with lots of rollers under the keel and one that supports the center board.

The problem is that the black rollers are leaving black streaks on the hull.

Has any one had this problem?

Did scrubbing and cleaning the rollers solve the problem?

If so what did you clean them with?

I was thinking S.O.S. pads, you know the steel wool with soap in it.

My last thought is I can paint the bottom black, or go white like I planed because I won't see it when on the water.
adam aunins

Postby algonquin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm

From some rollers I have had on trailers in the past the problem was more prevalent on newer rollers.

I have heard that a good thorough scrubbing with Simple Green will help then follow with a sealer like a spray poly. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby DS 1858 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Everyone at my club always covered the rollers with white cotton athletic tube socks. They fit pretty snug and people would just slide them over the roller, some would get all fancy and cut and tie them off somehow.
DS 1858

Postby adam aunins » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Well that sounds like it then. I'll give them a good cleaning and if that doesn't do it I have a bag of old socks that I keep around for odd things like this.
adam aunins

Return to Miscellaneous