Buying a DSII thats not registered???

Moderator: GreenLake

Buying a DSII thats not registered???

Postby s1120 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Im looking at a DSII. The current owners, and at least one or two before them, have never regestered the boat. Well if I want to put a motor on it, I will need to regester it. Did these come with titles or anything when new? It has the ID tag on it, with all the nembers, should that be all I need? Anyone know?? Will I be stuck with a boat I can never have a engine/motor on??

BTW it will be regged to Mass.

Thanks
Paul
Paul B
s1120

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Title is something issued by a state, different from manufacturer's certificate of origin which is needed by the first user to register a brand new boat.

All but possibly the very earliest DSII's should have the modern style HIN (hull identification number) required since 1972. That should allow you to find out if it was ever registered in your state.

Since you are planning to register in Mass, you might want to research the local regulations on the web. From what I can see based on a quick search, that state does not allow for registration of previously unregistered boats (even from out of state). (You would be lacking one of the documents needed for the registration).

If your DSII has any fittings where an outboard could be attached, it might fall under their classification of "motorboat".

In your case, I would contact someone from the state and get definite and accurate information before spending money (or risking a fine).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdubes » Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm going through this exact situation in Massachusetts right now. I spoke to a manager at the Boston office of the Department of Fish and Game. I explained to him that the boat has traveled around and never had a motor on it. Started in CT, then MA. Consequently i don't have a title or a previous registration to present during my registration. He said to first pay the taxes. Then he said to write up a letter stating that i'm the owner including a hull tracing, and then get it notarized. I plan on going through it this week.

Instructions to pay taxes:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm

Registration Locations:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/sport/index.htm
jdubes

Postby s1120 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 am

Cool, I cant wait to hear how you make out!!!

I mean, I may never put a engine on it, bit I would like to be able to if I want.
Paul B
s1120

Postby s1120 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Well.... another Daysailer....another one with no paperwork.... This was a nice older DSI... WTH????

Seems like there is a LOT of them out there...
Paul B
s1120

Postby s1120 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 am

SO how have you made out so far? I ended up picking up that boat, and will need to try to get it done.

jdubes wrote:I'm going through this exact situation in Massachusetts right now. I spoke to a manager at the Boston office of the Department of Fish and Game. I explained to him that the boat has traveled around and never had a motor on it. Started in CT, then MA. Consequently i don't have a title or a previous registration to present during my registration. He said to first pay the taxes. Then he said to write up a letter stating that i'm the owner including a hull tracing, and then get it notarized. I plan on going through it this week.

Instructions to pay taxes:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm

Registration Locations:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/sport/index.htm
Paul B
s1120

Postby jdubes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I didn't have a chance to go last week, i had to go on an unplanned business trip to Salt Lake city. I'll be going this week.
jdubes

Postby s1120 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:15 pm

jdubes wrote:I didn't have a chance to go last week, i had to go on an unplanned business trip to Salt Lake city. I'll be going this week.

No problem. I understand that!~!!!!!!

I will be keeping a eye out to see how you made out!
Paul B
s1120

Postby s1120 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:06 am

jdubes wrote:I didn't have a chance to go last week, i had to go on an unplanned business trip to Salt Lake city. I'll be going this week.

Did you ever get a chance to get your peperwork sorted out??
Paul B
s1120

Postby jdubes » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 am

Yes. This is what i did.

Yes i did. The person i purchased the boat from wrote up note stating that he didn't have a title or previous registration due to the boat not requiring one. This is based on the sized and it not having a motor. He then had it notarized stating this and i placed a hull tracing on it. I brought it to the registry in Fall River MA and got it registered. I paid all the necessary taxes up front. The things you need to point to get the conversation going, is the age of the boat and that fact that it didn't need to be registered.

J
jdubes

Postby s1120 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:16 am

OK, well I am working on getting the ball rolling!!

Checking with bolth NY, and Mass on it. I live in NY, but boat mostly in Mass so eather one will work for me. Going to try NY first being that its easer to get to the location to do the paper work. NY is kinda tough about that stuff though, so I might have to go to Mass.

Wish me luck!!!
Paul B
s1120

Postby s1120 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Still no luck on this. Looks like Im stuck running no engine on it.
Paul B
s1120

Postby ctenidae » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm surprised you're having any real difficulty- mostly, they just want the registration fee. You should be able to fill out an affidavit of ownership (Yes, I own this boat. Signed, Me. Notarized), or get a letter from the person you bought it from (I owned this boat. I sold it to him for $XX. Signed, Seller.), and go in with the paperwork.

Since it was previously untitled (retroactively punishable by $100 now, it appears, you'll need to fill out the titling/registration application (http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/registra ... ngform.pdf). Does seem like paying the sales tax is the #1 priority thing to do first, though.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby BillHerrick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 am

I just went through a similar deal in New York. Bought a boat (not a DS) that sat in the weeds for 10 years. The PO never titled or registered the boat when he bought it from its original owner and lost all the transfer documents: receipts, old registration and title.
I had to track down the original owner and get his title replaced so he could transfer the boat to me. Once I had the new title transferred to me I could register the boat.
Getting the original title replaced involved some notarized statements, forms, and fees. Title transferred to me was a form and a fee. Registering the boat was a fee and sales tax. Oh yeah, the trailer the boat was on had no documents either so there was tap dancing there too.
Bottom line: 14 ft boat, galvanized trailer, 2hp Yamaha OB, good roller furling jib: $275.00 Documents: ~$225.00
Bill Herrick
Upstate New York
BillHerrick

Postby algonquin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 pm

NY seems to be a real stickler for documentation. Not sure why they have so much concern over boats that are typically 30 years old or older. In Maine we enjoy a much simpler system on older boats, autos, and trailers. A simple sales receipt (handwritten or typed) with the VIN and the sellers info is all that is required to register the vessel. No title. This works great for the buyer.

The only drawback is that some one can borrow your boat from your backyard and sell it on a sales receipt. :? :( :cry:

Maybe this isn't that great of a system afterall. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Next

Return to Miscellaneous