Tips, and tricks for a newbee

Moderator: GreenLake

Tips, and tricks for a newbee

Postby s1120 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:40 pm

OK, so I am picking up not only my first Daysailer, but also my first sailboat!!! :D

Well I DID have this old beat up one that I got out once or twice between brakdowns...

So how about some tips and tricks for me? Any advice for a new guy? Things to do, things not to do, links, whatever you got!!

Thanks!!!
Paul B
s1120

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Read everything on this forum - for starters.

You'll stumble over quite a few links and will see issues others had - so that might give you an idea for more specific questions.

If you think your boat will need maintenance, take pictures (overall boat views, but also detail areas where you suspect issues) and post them on your personal gallery here so people have something to go by when you are discussing problems.

If you are new to sailing as well, or fairly new, get some basic books.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby s1120 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:33 am

Cool. thanks.

Ya, I have been reading old posts, and got a lot of good info!!

I have also read a lot on sailing. Last time I tryed, I did pretty good for a newguy. :D

My biggest issue, is I dont know any people that sail. So I am learning to sail myself, AND telling my crew what to do at the same time.
Paul B
s1120

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 pm

s1120 wrote:... I am learning to sail myself, AND telling my crew what to do at the same time.

By the way, that's not an entirely unfamiliar position. :D

I think it's fun puzzling things out myself and checking stuff I read against real experience on the boat. And the need to explain things to an inexperienced crew does have a way of letting you know whether you really understand what you are doing.

The forum is not as good as sailing with someone more experienced, but better than books because you can ask questions. But unlike having someone with you, where you can say "look at what I'm doing and tell me what I could do better", you'd need to describe a specific situation or ask a specific question.

If you do that, you'll find that people here are quite willing to give detailed advice and suggestions.

You just got a new (old) DS. Have you had it in the water yet? Where do you plan to sail it? Does it look like it's in sailable shape, or do you have concerns about repairs?
Last edited by GreenLake on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby s1120 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Nope, not on the water yet. Im going to "dry sail" it first. Get it all rigged up, attach all hardwere, and get a feel for how everything works, and feels before I hit the water. The boat will spend its life on Louis Bay on Cape cod, but I am planing on getting out on a quite lake somewere first, before I tackel a crowded lanch ramp/mooring feild!!!Kinda get a handle on how it sails, and proforms to the controls
Paul B
s1120

Postby Peterw11 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am

I think you have the right idea as far as "dry sailing" goes, as well as chosing a guiet lake for your first few times out. I'd also opt for fairly calm wind speeds for the first few times. Wind speeds between 5 and 10 mph would be ideal. Anything stronger, particularly gusty winds and you could find yourself in trouble pretty quickly, especially with an inexperienced crew.

As far as sailing how-to's, check Youtube for some video lessons. They have a bunch available. A little knowledge on the basics and how to get out of trouble, may be just the ticket.

You don't mention the age of condition of the boat, so the first thing to check is the overall condition of the rigging (standing and running) and the solidity of the cleats, rudder attachments and tiller, and the centerboard movement.

Pay particular attention to the mast and stays and where they attach. Are they good and solid? Are the chain plates (where the stays attach to the hull) solid and in good shape? Anything exposed to high wind stress (especially if you keep it at the Cape) must be in top condition, because you can bet that's the part that's gonna fail when out on the water.

As Captain Ron says. "Anything that's gonna happen is gonna happen out there".

Words to live by.
Peterw11

Return to Miscellaneous