Help me name my boat ...

Moderator: GreenLake

Help me name my boat ...

Postby jcalvinmarks » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 pm

We have a 1972 DS2, red hull, white deck, and we're struggling to come up with a name for it (it's bad luck to have a boat without a name).

We came up with "Apple O'Day" (apologies if we're ripping anyone else off), but we're finding we have to explain it every time we say it ("you know, like 'an apple o'day keeps the doctor away ...")

We also considered "Molly Ringwold's Revenge" (since the boat is red), capturing both the North Carolina pirate reference and the Breakfast Club reference, but we're neither of us convinced totally on that one.

So since you guys seem like a really clever bunch, I thought I'd solicit thoughts on either of the above names, or any new names you'd like to throw out so that we can commit intellectual property theft and pilfer a clever name off the board. Any takers?
jcalvinmarks

Postby algonquin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 am

This thread could get pretty interesting.

Hmmm ! Like your Apple O’day ! But it is a bit to punny for my personal taste. It is best to come up with a personal name that reflects you and your crew.

My DS1 is named “Feather” because it is light and responsive ( although I can’t say that for the crew :lol: ). My 23 ft Venture of Newport cutter I sold a few years ago was named “Pigs at Sea” because no matter how hard we tried we always came back to port a little unkept and disheveled :oops: . Many years ago I had a 30ft Bristle Channel Cutter that we named “Seal Baby” because it was big and white and we sailed where harbor seals were plentiful. The herald was accompanied with some art work of a fat baby seal on the transom.

My favorite sailboat names that I have seen on the transoms of other boats are “Empty Pockets”, “Paid For” , and “Tranquility”. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 am

I wouldn't let the fact whether others "get" your name stop you from picking one that means something to you.
Last edited by GreenLake on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby s1120 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:37 am

I just named my DSII I just got... "Don't Panic" :D
Paul B
s1120

Postby jpclowes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:14 am

I suggest you sail your boat for a little while, and she will let you know what her name should be.

I did that, and together with my son we came up with the name Ojo. Ojo is a character on the children's TV show Bear and the Big Blue House. Ojo was a young, girl, bear cub on the show that was always going on some big adventure in the back yard. It was my son's favorite show when he was four or five. (He is now 12.) The name really seemed to fit.

I wanted to name my old Laser "Millennium Falcon," but it wouldn't fit on the transom. :D
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby jcalvinmarks » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm also big on historical names with interesting stories, but so far my wife has vetoed all of these:

Erebus or Terror: the two ships of the Franklin expedition to chart the Northwest Passage to the Pacific during the mid 19th Century, which ended quite poorly when the ships became trapped in pack ice, the crew went mad, and finally resorted to cannibalism.

Baychimo: a fur trading ship in the Bering Sea during the early 20th Century which became trapped in pack ice in 1931, was abandoned, but then was later freed, and became a ghost ship dundering around the Bering Sea for the next 38 years.

And hey, the punnier the better; I think puns are one of the highest form of humor. :D
jcalvinmarks

Postby persephone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Personally I like 'Apple O'Day'!
If it's said with the right timing and emphasis it just rolls off the tongue.
My boat is un-officially Persephone (it's not on the transom yet). From greek mythology (I wouldn't have known if I didn't pick it).
Do you subscribe to any of the superstitions about re-naming boats?
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby jcalvinmarks » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 pm

No, I pretty much don't subscribe to any nautical superstitions (the thing about it being bad luck not to have a name for a boat is a Forest Gumpline). I'll bring a woman on board, with a cat, and we'll all leave on Friday on our unnamed boat if I fancy.

Having a name is strictly for fun.
jcalvinmarks

Postby persephone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 pm

I remember a boat my Father used to borrow from time to time. It had no name for many years. The owner's name was Peter. So one time when my father was sailing it he got out some electrical tape and 'named' it "For Pete's sake".
I am a bit superstitions when it comes to boats. I don't honestly believe in them, but I like the tradition. I have a coin from the year my boat was built under the mast, I expunged all know references to it's former name before picking a new name and referring to it by said name, and I've even been known to scratch a backstay or two to summon the wind.
Superstitions aside, I'd be happy to sail on a boat with a woman or a cat, so long as it isn't the bosun's cat.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Jett » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm

When I acquired my Spindrift DS1 on the cheap last fall, I thought about naming it "Spinthrift." But I changed my mind as I started pouring all that money down the proverbial hole in the water while fixing it up.

Finally, I named the boat AQUA, figuring that the blue sails justified that, not to mention that in some translations aqua means water, which is where the boat and my $$ were headed anyway.
Jett Conner
Jett

Return to Miscellaneous