Finally made it to the water, now I need a crew...

Moderator: GreenLake

Finally made it to the water, now I need a crew...

Postby persephone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 pm

So after 3 or 4 months of intense maintenance I finally put my boat on it's new mooring at the local lake yacht club this afternoon. The rig isn't up because I'm hoping to get everything measured this Saturday, and the last parts of my aluminum rudder head are still being finished.
But, the hull is done and in the water.
Sadly my modified c/b handle leaks more than I had hoped. I'll have to revisit that seal when I haul out to go to the NACR in 3 weeks. I also forgot to put screws in the no longer needed screw holes that used to hold the c/b handle plate.
I felt a shameful pride when the former owner of the boat didn't recognize it, and went to get his camera to take pictures of it saying "It never looked this good".
Of course after all my work to re-fresh and paint the hull... I scuffed it before it made it to the mooring.
On flotation I ended up stuffing 64 pool noodles inside the seats and in the (covered) space between the seats and the gunn'ls. Additionally I bought two large chunks of closed cell buoyancy foam, which I cut up into bricks and chunks that I then stuffed into the two front chambers. Aditionally I cut larger blocks which I placed in the space between the back of the seats and the transom. Not counting the pool noodles I figure I put about 600 pounds of flotation into the hull, add the noodles and subtract the space water can fill and I think I have a boat that will swamp but not go under.
I'll leave an open invite to anyone interested in doing some racing (strictly for fun). If you are close enough to Wakefield MA I plan to do the NE regionals this Saturday, as well as the regular Sunday afternoon and Wednesday evening races. Contact me for more info if interested.
My wife has only a passing interest, and that is minimized by her expectant state... luckily due near the end of sailing season here in New England.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

congratulations

Postby dtrop01 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:11 am

we want pics
dtrop01

Postby persephone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:14 pm

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/theflyingcloudsbucket/

Here's what I have so far. The blue and white blistered bottom was my old Javelin.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Moose » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Boat looks great! I wish I had the time/place/money to do that intense of a job.

I live on the south shore but if you still need crew for the races I would like to try to make it up for a few this summer to see what its all about. I just got my own daysailer and i'm not sure if racing os for me yet.

I also have a question about your mooring, do you know how much it weighs?
Moose

Return to Miscellaneous