First trip out in the DSII

Moderator: GreenLake

First trip out in the DSII

Postby s1120 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:03 am

WOW... not the best of times!!!!!!!!!!!

Launched the new to me DSII on friday... Ya.. did not go so well.

First of all I am a newbee sailer. Got the boat all rigged up, and dumpped in the water. Had some trubble rounding the bend out into the channel. Just could not get the darn thing to move any farther. In the light wind, it just would not make the turn.

At that time I also noticed water coming in...

So we turned around, and sailed back to the beach. I found that the bailer is bad, and just letting water flow right in. SO I found a plug to plug it, and that helpped. Found that the rudder was sticking a bit, and not dropping down... Well that was some of my control issues!! Loosesned that a little, its working now. Sorted out the center board... Ya.. seems I was pulling the wrong cable to lower it. DOOHHHH!!! OK,... so I sorted all that out.. turned it around and tryed agean... Still could not make the turn out of the channel.... Just not enough wind blowing in the right direction... Add to that, with my low skill level... well you get the idea. I guess I realy need a motor to get into the main part of the bay.. Got to figure out the reg issues, and get one.

So I turned back around, and loaded it back on the trailer. NOT a good day. :(
Paul B
s1120

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:49 am

What's light wind in your case? What did you try?

I often launch at a dock where boats blanket the wind and I have to tack out along a narrow aisle to get into the lake. As long as the turns are smooth and I never let it lose all the speed, that works fine even in ridiculously low winds (i.e. almost none).

Tell us a bit more, and perhaps we can make a useful suggestion.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

First time out

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Sorry to hear that your first time out was a bummer. But it also was a learning experience, and you'll have many more to come. Question: do you have tides and/or currents to deal with where you were sailing ? That could make all the difference in the world. It may be to your advantage to get a small motor but may not be needed. Depends on your sailing area. I always sail on a lake so I do not have to deal with tides/currents. The DS will do pretty well in light winds. Like the previous person that replied, just try to keep some forward movement. I have even had to use a paddle to tack.

One thing that you might consider. Find a fellow sailor in your area that sails where you do and he can probably help you a bunch. Plus he/she can give you pointers of basic sailing. You might even consider taking a weekend sailing class, which there are probably many to choose from. The more you learn and practice the more fun you will have sailing. You'll never cease from learning on every sail.

Take care fair winds. You'll enjoy the DS II, it can give you many years of fun and enjoyment. Mine has.

yukonterr
1966, DS I
"Dancing Girls II", #3235
gary l. britton

Postby s1120 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 am

I had a chance to talk to a few peole the last few days, and they said that it is infact pretty tough to make it out there under sail. Most motor out to the main bay, or get towed, or sail throught he mooring feild and go around. I dont trust my self going through the mooring feild yet, so I gotta work on another idea.

I did still learn a lot though. I got a chance to get the boat all rigged at the launch site, launched it, and got moving from the ramp under sail power. Found my leaking bailer, learned the ropes on the centerboard, and got a little feel for the controls. So it was not for nothing.

They have a sailing center there at the beach. They mostly deal with youth sailing, but I am going to ask if they offer adult clases at all. Im only down for a few weeks a summer, and some weekends though, so not sure when I can fit them in, but I will call. [I sail out of Cape Cod on Louis Bay]
Paul B
s1120

Postby s1120 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:13 am

Well heading out to the boat agean this week. Hoping I have better luck this time!!
Paul B
s1120

Postby navahoIII » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 am

Do you mean Lewis Bay? Our DSI is moored there, uder the care of my niece since we live in another state.

That is a good place to practice sailing. It is large enough to not feel crowded, and protected from the bigger waters and winds of Nantucket Sound. The wind is usually southwesterly so sailing on a reach is what you normally get -- which is exciting! There are some shallows where the centerboard will hit the sandy bottom but otherwise you can sail most of the bay easily.

We will be taking her out in a few weeks so we'll see what you mean about navigating through the moored boats near the landing site.

Good luck!

Ps - Did you catch the ospreys diving for fish?
navahoIII

Postby s1120 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:23 am

Yupper Louis Bay. been on this bay many times with a power boat, but this is my first time on sail. Grounded more then a few times in the power boat though. :D
Paul B
s1120

Return to Miscellaneous