Beachwooder Learning to Sail

Moderator: GreenLake

Beachwooder Learning to Sail

Postby ErikJW1980 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:12 am

Hey,

New to this whole sailing thing, though I grew up in Beachwood Borough, a heavy sailing community. Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. I know virtually nothing of sailing, but want to learn both because it always bothered me not knowing and as we plan to set our kids through the BYC youth program in a few years (we're joining ourselves next year; this year was just too crazy moving back to the borough).

Any help/info/tips/etc. gladly appreciated. I was recommended to buy a O'Day Daysailor 17', as I'm 28 and 6'7", making a Pram a bit too small for me. Any info/direction on these as well greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best,

Erik Weber
ErikJW1980

The daysailer

Postby persephone » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 am

Hi Erik,

Welcome to sailing. The Daysailer is a great boat (I might be biased a bit...). It has many advantages, but it would be hard to say if it is right for you. Here are some things you might want to consider before buying any boat.
What is your purchase budget.
Can you maintain a boat yourself or will you be relying on others to fix it for you.
Where will you be sailing (lake or coastal ocean). What are the average weather conditions there (wind and waves).
What type of sailing do you want to do (cruise or race, if race how competitive are you).
Will you need to trailer it. If so how often and how far.
Will you be using a motor of some type.

I work on classic (collectible) cars and I always recommend that a customer buy the BEST car they can find, period. Trying to save money on the front end (purchase) almost always costs more on the back end (repairs). Defining best when it comes to a boat is tough, but generally I'm referring to condition.
The DS is light, can be towed by an average car (I tow with a VW Passat), is easy to set up, even alone after some practice. It can be sailed alone, but can also accommodate a family on a day sail. Obviously there is a large support community (for both information and parts).
I have a DS1 (large open cockpit, not self rescuing... in other words it fills with water and has to be bailed out if you capsize). The DS2s and the Cape Cod Shipbuilders DS have closed cockpits that don't take in as much water.
If you don't intend to race ultra-competitively you might look at the Cape Cod Shipbuilders Daysailer. From what I have heard they are tough and well constructed (just a bit heavy for racing). They can be found used at a reasonable price.
If possible sail several boats before deciding on one to buy. If you are buying a used boat find someone knowledgeable to look at it for you. This could save you THOUSANDS of dollars in a worst case scenario.
Good luck. If you have any more questions just ask, there will be no shortage of answers here.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby navahoIII » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:06 am

This may be moot but you have given no indication as to whether you actually like boats and being on the water -- a pretty crucial consideration -- only that it "bothers" you to be out of the sailing loop.
navahoIII

Postby ErikJW1980 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:13 am

Hey,

Thanks for the responses. Here are some answers:

- Purchase budget is low to start, around 1500
- Yes I can maintain and store; we have a double bay garage with toolshed attached
- Live six or so blocks away from the Toms River/Barnegat Bay, whose sailing conditions are pretty renown as being accommodating
- Cruise to begin with, race competitively once the basics are met
- Trailer purchase no problem and short distance to drive besides
- Yep motor no problem

and

- yes, I enjoy being both on and in the water, which I imagine is an important trait should the learning process be a bit harder and I get tossed in the drink more than a few times

Thanks

Erik
ErikJW1980

Postby persephone » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Erik,

One thing I thought of since you intend to use a motor. You should check NJ boat registration and titling laws (RE buying a boat with no existing title or registration). This can be a challenge in some states.
You say that Toms River/Barnegat Bay is "accommodating". I'll take that to mean that conditions are generally calm and conducive to peaceful boating to be enjoyed by all. My thinking was if you would encounter seas over a foot or steady wind near 20 on a regular basis you might look at a small keel boat (Rhodes 19 or Mercury 15 for example) to keep the comfort level acceptable for all concerned. The downside of that is it is difficult to trailer sail even a small keel boat.
I comb the ebay listings now and then and by chance there is a 1968 Daysailer 1 with a motor up for sale somewhere in NJ right now. Not great pictures so it would have to be seen in person before placing a bid I would say.
Another thought, look for a boat that has an active fleet nearby. It helps to have others with the same boat around when you are learning.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Peterw11 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Erik:

Sounds like you're a prime DS candidate. It's a stable boat with enough room for 4, handles lake or bay sailing well. It's also quite easy for a newbie to feel comfortable with.

It's simple, durable, has terrific parts backup and there's been so many built since the 50's, you should have no problem finding one to fit your budget.

I paid 800 bucks for mine last spring, ready to sail, with 4 hp outboard and good trailer.

It also sounds like drysailing might work for you. You store your boat on the trailer at the local boatyard, rather than renting a slip, or trailering from home. You won't have to derig the mast and that'll save you a good amount of time anytime you want to sail. Just hook up the trailer in the yard and launch.

Might I also suggest Craigslist as source of used boats. You have to be dedicated enough to check it at least twice a day, and be ready to respond quickly to any ads that interest you.

Good deals don't last long on Craigslist, in my experience.
Peterw11

Postby algonquin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:21 am

[quote="persephone"]You say that Toms River/Barnegat Bay is "accommodating". I'll take that to mean that conditions are generally calm and conducive to peaceful boating to be enjoyed by all. quote]

I used to keep my 23 foot Venture of Newport at a marina on the Tom’s river inlet. The Barnagate Bay area is a nice area to sail. It does have a few issues to get used to like a moderate southerly afternoon sea breeze (12-18 knots). The bay is subject to tidal currents that can leave you standing still yet heeled over in the wind with white water wakes behind you. The bay is basically shallow so after a few hours of wind the water surface can get choppy. Also until you develop your sailing skills I would stay away from the bay inlet. That area is dangerous for small boats whether motor powered or sail powered.

In my opinion the biggest danger sailing the bay is other boats, especially power boats that do not observe the rules of right away. Many boats using the bay are large blue water boats that have come in from the Atlantic. I have had some scary instances in which large cruisers came far to close at high speed and nearly swamped my 23 footer. This occurred far to often.

One large cruiser was in route back to a marina in the Tom’s River Inlet at high speed as he approached the no wake area. This particular boat was of large displacement and excess of 40 feet in length with a large cabin and fly bridge. He killed his power right next to me. As the massive weight of his boat settled down in the water the waves he created hit me broad side and sent my wife overboard as she was tending the jib. He never even acknowledged that we were there.

Another instance I had was with a large catamaran. This catamaran was at least 45 feet in length and was under sail and leaving white water behind. He was bearing down on us quickly. I noticed that our paths were definitely going to cross and I took evasive action to avert nearly being run down by it. As he passed barely to my port I hit the air horn. No one was at the helm. The crew and captain were busy partying and the boat was trimmed and sailing on auto pilot.
I strongly recommend that you equip your boat with navigational lights and a loud air horn. The bay is big enough that you can get caught out longer than you planned for. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Miscellaneous