Learing to sail... Best books to read???

Moderator: GreenLake

Learing to sail... Best books to read???

Postby s1120 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Subject line says it all. Im learing to sail, and wondering what some good books are to read up on the subject. Thanks for any help!!!
Paul B
s1120

sailing books

Postby phil » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm

SAIL POWER The Complete Guide to Sails and Sail Handling. by Wallace Ross with Carl Chapman
This has been my reference for quite a few years and has taught me much
Phil[/i]
phil

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Sometimes the best books are written for kids. If you're interested in a fairly complete roudup of the real basics, or want a book that you can later hand a novice, here's

First Sail, by Richard Henderson ISBN 0-87033-442-5

It's an illusttrated book covers all the basics and, does it in the context of describing a day sailing adventure in a boat much like the Daysailer. The more adult books either contain a lot of racing or keel-boat cruising information that doesn't necessarily apply to casual DS sailers.

I've also enjoyed this slim volume:

Sail Trim, Theory and Practice, by Peter Hahne, ISBN 1-57409-198-0

which also nicely summarizes the aearodynamic principles involved. If you like to get a bit more background, including the fluid dynamics of the hull, the physics of the tides and basic weather patterns you might like this book:

The Physics of Sailing Explained, by Bryan D. Anderson, ISBN 1-57409-170-0

(also a rather thin and easy to read book). Another small volume, but very focused is

Wind Strategy, by D. Houghton and F. Campbell, ISBN 1-904475-12-4

That book picks apart the various phenomena that drive the wind, with lots of detail of interaction between weather and coastal features. I would also encourage you read up on knots. You'll need only a handful, so almost any book on the subject should do (Budworth has written a number of them), but it's always nice to have a small repertoire in case there's an unusual situation.

Then there are the big "handbook" style volumes from several publishers, but the sections of interest to someone sailing a DS are limited, so I've never bothered to own any such book (that's what libraries are for).

They usually contain a chapter on the "rules of the road", but if you intend to sail anywhere there's shipping, you should get an official copy of the Navigation Rules from the Coast Guard.

If you like graphs and numbers, get any of the books by C.A. Marchaj - those will keep you occupied for many winter evenings, after which you might appreciate more why boats are designed the way they are. Somewaht in the same category is

High Performance Sailing by Frank Bethwaite

but he also covers a fair bit meteorology. I'm not giving an ISBN, because I believe it has been reissued. Very technical, but very entertaining.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby sunapeesailor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am

Royce's Illustrated is a must have for anyone learning to sail!

Fairwinds!
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Return to Miscellaneous