Centerboard lift

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard lift

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2000 7:37 am

I went sailing in my 1971 oday Daysailor for the first time yesterday and it was great. But I have one question someone outthere may be able to answer.
The centerboard has two cables, one in the cuddy and one at the aft end of the trunk. pulling either of these lines seems to raise the board. Is this the way it should work or do I have a problem with the cables somehow?

John Streety (jrstre-at-solutia.com)

Postby boone » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:33 pm

The cable in the cuddy should raise the board, and the one in the trunk should lower it.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 10, 2000 11:44 am

Is your boat a Day Sailer I or Day sailer II? The DS II uses 2 lines (or cables) to control the board, one pulls it down and the other up. On my 1979 the line to pull the board down runs from the cuddy top (inside cuddy) to a block on a line coming up through a hole in the top, forward end of the cb trunk, then back up to a block on the cuddy top, then down to a block next to the trunk and then aft to a cleat on the side of the trunk. The line to pull the board up runs from alongside the mast, back through a block attached to a cable that runs through the front end of the cb trunk, then back forward to a block next to the maststep, then aft to the same cleat as the downline. As I understand it, the early DS II had the down line running forward instead of up to the cuddy top, but I could be wrong.
Sounds like yours may be an owner-modified set up.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous