Reefing

Moderator: GreenLake

Reefing

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:41 pm

I am curious how i could reef my mainsail.I have no reef points but my boom looks like it can be used to roll the mainsail.if i can roll it,how can i rig my mainsheet?

Matt Wood (woody-at-worldpath.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2000 10:17 am

Re : Roller reefing the mains'l on an O'Day Day sailer. Try reading the two threads in the Rigging Category titled "Roller reefing the Main" & "Reefing Claws : Are there any out there?" I think you will find they answer many of your questions. Send me an e-mail at felix.graham-jones @snet.net if you're still having problems.

Felix Graham-Jones (felix.graham-jones-at-snet.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:54 pm

I purchased a Jiffy Reefing Kit for my Daysailer II from Sailrite.com. It works great, a lot faster to rig than roller reefing, and the sail is a nice flat shape. The Kit only cost about $40. It did involve a lot of sewing, and I did it all by hand, but it was worth it and I learned a lot about sail repair. Reinforcing patches must be sewn onto the sail to support the two grommets. The kit included everything you need except, needles, a sailmaker's palm, and a sail track stop to keep the boom from sliding down to the deck.

Steve Byrd (byrd4-at-earthlink.net)

Return to Miscellaneous