19' boat - DS or R19

Moderator: GreenLake

19' boat - DS or R19

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2000 12:48 pm

I recently purchased an old 19' boat. Step mast, swept spreaders, no backstay, centerboard, lowered by a line through the trunk. The board sticks sometimes. Is this a DS, or a Rhodes 19? Also, there are now appearing leaks around the bottom, interior of the cb trunk. Is this a usual problem, and can anyone recommend a repair method? Your assistance is appreciated. pcorbett@bejh.com

Pat Corbett (pcorbett-at-bejh.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2000 8:11 am

The Rhodes is a 19 foot boat. The daysailer is a 16'7" boat. They are very similar in design and rig, but if I remember correctly the R19 is a longer and beamier boat. And the DS1 centerboard is controlled by a large handle mounted on forward end of the starboard side of the centerboard trunk. The handle is strong, and simple to operate. Mine leaked when I bought the boat and I replaced the rubber gasket. It is one of the best ideas for centerboard operation I have had the pleasure to use.

mike (mgreen-at-gdsys.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2000 11:41 am

The Rhodes 19 has a backstay, the Day Sailer does not. The Rhodes 19 has the mast stepped just forward of the cuddy, the DS has the mast stepped through the cuddy top. The R19 has 2 sets of shrouds, uppers that attach at the same height as the forestay and lead over spreaders to the chainplates, and lowers that attach to the mast at the spreader bases and lead down to the chainplates. The Day Sailer has only one set of shrouds, attached to the mast at the same height as the forestay, and leading over spreaders to the chainplates. Either boat may be rigged with jumper stays and spreaders on the forward side of the mast, these prevent the mast from bending too far aft and these jumper spreaders (or struts) will be just above the forestay attachment point. The R19 has a "R19" on the sail, the Day Sailer has a D S that are connected on an angle on the sail. The R19 hull is the same as the Mariner, and has a more curved stem profile than the DS, the DS has a nearly straight stem raked slightly aft. If you are familiar with the O'Day Javelin, the DS looks like a Javelin stretched out from 14' to 16' 9" and with a cuddy added.
Hope this helps!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous