Day Sailer as cabin (tent) cruiser

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer as cabin (tent) cruiser

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 30, 2000 8:32 pm

Have been thinking about stitching up a relatively comprehensive (bug proof) boom tent and platform to allow sleeping aboard a DS1.

Anyone ever try this?

The thinking on the tent is to suspend it beneath the boom and clip the bottom to the rub rail with a bungee either over the top or around the front of the cuddy to keep a tight seal. Roof shape would be maintained by lengths of pvc pipe as battens/stiffeners. Tent would have openings at the front for bow access and in the rear for late night ... err ... relief.

The platform would be a bit bulky, but whatcha gonna do? Lengths of softwood would be slipped into pockets in a couble thickness of canvas. The pieces of wood would be just long enough to span from coaming to coaming and would lay on the air tanks/seats (mine is a 1970 DS1). Wooden cleats would be bonded to the centerboard trunk to support the platform where it is bisected by the trunk. Padding would be by backpacker air/foam matresses. Platform would be rolled up and stowed under the cuddy.

Anyone ever give this sort of thing a try?

Comments? Observations? Criticism?

I await ...

Gary Tabor

Gary Tabor (ratracer-at-rust.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2000 8:57 pm

I have been thinking of doing something similar and would also be interested in feedback. Eric, PS see photos added.

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Return to Miscellaneous