Outboard propeller question

Moderator: GreenLake

Outboard propeller question

Postby Peterw11 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 pm

My DS1 came with a 1982 Johnson 4hp outboard. It runs fine, (although I've never actually used it on the boat) but I snapped a blade off the prop a month or so ago and need to replace it.

A found an OEM replacement on Ebay recently ( a steal at less than 10 bucks, including shipping!) but it came without a hub. I'm attempting to remove the hub from the original prop, but given it's age, it may not be possible to remove it in usable condition.

I figured, no problem, I'll just go online and find a new hub, have the broken prop repaired, as well, and I'll have two usable ones.

Not so easy. I can't find a hub available anywhere. I'd think it's a fairly easy thing to acquire, and it looks simple enough to install, but sourcing it has been the problem.

I plan to call a few local outboard shops tomorrow, but I'm stunned I can't just find one available from the many large online vendors. Other parts for this motor are readily available, as there were thousands of these things produced and I'm sure many are still in use.

Any suggestions as to where I might look or how to solve this little problem?
Peterw11

Postby MrPlywood » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 am

I have a 1983 Evinrude 4HP. I used this site to identify parts:

http://shop.evinrude.com/ ---- just click on the "parts" link at the left and you can find your model.

You can order parts from them. I"m in Canada so I just went to the dealer - they use them same diagrams. Not sure, but I think Evinrude and Johnson are one and the same?

This link will also help you identify your exact model:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/model ... ost80.html

Hope this helps.
MrPlywood

Return to Miscellaneous