DS I and DSII ?

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I and DSII ?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2000 2:32 am

I have read the how to buy a DS section and I am still unclear on the differences between the DSI and DSII is it one has a bulkhead and one does not .
Why is the DSI better for racing and why does it hold its value better Thanks Randy

Randy (rjhopper-at-pacbell.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2000 8:25 am

There are several differences between the DSI and DSII, that pretty much hold for all manufacturers of the DSI. The easiest to notice is the thwart across the middle of the boat at the centerboard trunk. This thwart exists only in the DSI. Next is the way the centerboard is manuevered. In the DSI there is a handle and in the DSII there is a rope running out of the bottom of the cuddy. The bulkhead at the aft of the cuddy is not a good spotting feature, because this was an area of change over the years.

Because of the thwart, which the DSII does not have, the DSI is believed to be a stiffer hull, which flexes less and therefore is a bit faster. However, the difference is speed is not critical for recreational use or for club racing (IMHO). Because the DSI is a bit faster, it is more desirable to racers who are willing to pay a bit more for one. Therefore the DSI usually commands a higher price.

John Dura (jdura-at-telcordia.com)

Return to Miscellaneous