fast rising water

Moderator: GreenLake

fast rising water

Postby MrPlywood » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 am

Check this out. I had to leave my boat down by the water a few weeks ago because I didn't have any help to take the mast down. It was a good 75 feet from the water's edge though, and about 4 feet above the waterline. In the meantime we've had deluge after storm after downpour, and this is the result. Anyone have any hip-waders?

[thumb=806]
MrPlywood

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Looks like you could launch right there! Almost.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ctenidae » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a yard launch.
ctenidae

Postby MrPlywood » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah, if it gets much higher I'm going to push the boat off the trailer and motor it to another accessible ramp. Otherwise I don't think there will be any way that I can roll the trailer and the boat out of there, since the ground will be too soft. Fun!
MrPlywood

Postby algonquin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Looks like you will be pulling the hubs and repacking the wheel bearings.
Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song. "How highs the water Papa, he said its 3 feet high and rising" :( Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Watch out, if the waters rise much further, you might find the DS trying to float the trailer! On the other hand, that could be the answer to your soft-mud problem right there :)

Hope you succeed in getting boat and trailer safely home w/o permanent damage to either.

Reminds me to check on mine, soon.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby MrPlywood » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Luckily a friend went out and was able to move the boat to somewhat higher ground, so it's safe for now. I remembered that I had removed the stern drain plug so had the water gotten high enough to float the boat it would have had some extra ballast. :)

I was already thinking about the bearings. They were on my list anyway.

Mt Washington, the ski resort about halfway up-island, has already had 3.6 meters of snow, the last meter falling in only 2 days. We're in the same weather system, just getting the rain instead of the snow.

Here's a pic of the normal water level. You can see the ramp leading down to the dock, as opposed to leading up like it is now...

[thumb=807]
MrPlywood

Postby Jett » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:02 am

Speaking of snow, it's been doing that lately here in Colorado, but we managed to get in one last sail today before colder weather returns. 60+, super breezes and had the reservoir to ourselves. Latest in the year we've ever sailed in Denver...in shorts no less. I should ski tomorrow just to say I can sail one day, ski the next.

Tried out new sails (slightly used racing sails) and they really woke me up to the bedsheets I've been using for sails this past year. Crisp and nice foil shape compared to my old ones. Just really made the old boat perk up on all points of sail.

Happy Thanksgiving next week!
Jett Conner
Jett

Return to Miscellaneous