Moderator: GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Algonquin,

Well, that was my crazy project from last summer. Here is a link to that lengthy thread. http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2785

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:32 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:Algonquin,

Well, that was my crazy project from last summer. Here is a link to that lengthy thread. http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2785

KC

Thanks KC. How on earth did I miss that 4 page thread :? Actually I now remember looking at it but must have gotten tired out from all that work you were doing. :lol: That has really got to make a difference on how your boat feels as it moves through the water. Brad

Super Job :D :)
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Peterw11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 pm

K.C.

My boards are in three sections, not including the transom piece. The aft secton is about 4' long and extends to just under the thwart. It's a bit awkward, but can be removed in a few seconds. The middle section is about 12" square. The forward section is about 3' long and extends up under the cuddy.

Take a look at any of the DS1 photos on this site and I'm sure you'll see some.

Because I beach my boat, I usually only remove the aft section when not in use. The water accumulates at the stern so the forward sections stay dry, anyway, unless we get a real soaking.

Each section overhangs the keelson by an inch or so, so there is no significant gap between them when installed.

If you want exact dimensions, let me know, and I'll measure them for you.
Peterw11

Postby seandwyer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Peter,

I'd like to know the dimensions if it isn't too hard to do. No hurry if they are in the boat under the winter tarp - but when you have a moment. Mine are like KC's, as I believe most others are, in 4 main pieces plus the one under the transom piece. Mine don't cover the keelson either, but just lay on either side. None of the pieces are easy to install in my opinion - but especially the front 2. Standing outside of the boat and trying to angle the tip of a board up as high and centered beneath the cuddy so the aft end clears the thwart can be challenging at the end of the day.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Peterw11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 pm

No problem, Sean. The floorboards are in the garage and I'll get the measurements posted by this weekend.

As a point of clarification, my boards are 3 pieces per side, for a total of 6, not including the transom section.

From what you folks describe, the two piece boards sound like a real pain to deal with. After the first rainfall episode this past season, I must have had a good 4" of water collected in the cockpit, and due to the angle at which it was beached, the water extended from the transom to the CB trunk.

Even though the boards are mahogany (they are mahogany, right?) and fairly rot proof, I didn't want them sitting in a puddle all week. They've survived 40 years and I'd like to keep that streak going a while longer.
Peterw11

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 am

The two piece boards are not that difficult to deal with, really. I normally only deal with them when the boat is empty and on the trailer. I could imagine that shorter sections would give more scope to getting at the lowes point in the hull while in the water and with too much gear to go around.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Peterw, thanks for offering the measurements. I'll take note of this thread for reference in case I need those.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby seandwyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes Peter - thanks. The boards are a pain. I want them in the boat, because they look good and distribute the weight, but I also don't want to leave them in once finished because of the possibility of laying in puddles. If they didn't come together under the thwarts it wouldn't be so hard, but as it is, they are a real pain in the ass to put in and remove!!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Peterw11 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:56 am

The lengths of my 3 piece floorboards are as follows, using the starboard side set for measurements.

The aft section measures 70 1/2" end to end.
The CB relief starts at the forward end and extends 27 3/4".

The middle (center) section is 12 13/16" end to end.

The forward section is 51 1/2" from the aft end to the tip of the longest (second from the left) board.

All are + or - a 32nd of an inch.

I didn't measure the rearmost transom board. I have it, but I never use it.
Peterw11

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous