Winter Sailing Vacation

Moderator: GreenLake

Winter Sailing Vacation

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 am

Well, I decided to take a winter sailing vacation! We wanted to get away from snowy Stonington and go someplace warm over the holidays but ended up with too many family conflicts. So… I booked us into a sailing camp on Key Largo. It looks a bit funky but sort of Daysailer appropriate, it's called the Key lime Sailing Club. When I booked this in early December I checked for average temperatures in mid-January and the average is about 75°. Of course now with record cold on the East Coast I'm a little bit concerned. So I've got my fingers crossed that it will warm up by the end of next week when I'll be headed off.

Each cabin gets assigned a Catalina 22 to use freely for the entire time you are there. They also have kayaks and smaller sailboats including a Daysailer available. They have snorkeling equipment also but even with 75° water I'm not sure about snorkeling without a wetsuit.

I'm stoked!

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby seandwyer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:00 pm

KC - I think this sounds like a blast! And- honestly - 75 degree's is pretty nice - 60 would be fine compared to 9 and snow! Have fun!!!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby navahoIII » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Sounds good, KC!

Please give us a summary on your return. We have tickets to Florida that must be used this spring and your find may be just the thing.

Buon Viaggio!
navahoIII

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks guys! The weather forecast is looking much more promising than the freezing temperatures in Florida today. I will definitely report on the fun.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Yep K.C., we are having our one week of Winter for sure! Had sleet this morning here in Deland. The Keys in a couple of weeks should be warm, tho.

I've been to KLSC, and it *is* funky. Everything in the Keys is - that's the charm! The sailing is great, tho, and the C22's a great boat. I got to crew on her big sister, a C27, in San Diego last month. Even "raced" The Stars & Stripes for an hour or so! :-)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Tim, I'm glad to hear that the Keys are a charming funky. :-) I've only visited Florida a couple of times and have never made it to southern Florida before so I'm hoping for some kind of "Old Florida". I'm really glad to hear the sailing is good.

So… it took you an entire hour to catch up to Stars & Stripes? You must've been drinking beers. Actually, I've always fantasized sailing in San Diego harbor and of course even more so when it's snowing here.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:25 pm

No, unfortunately, it was a completely sober blow, and actually, S&S caught us, and "toyed" with us for an hour! 8)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, I had a great time! Unfortunately, it was too short. The weather was reasonable and I got to sail 4/5 days and on the off day I hung out on the beach for a while with some kite surfers (it was blowing 20) and, of course, did some other tourist stuff, as well.

I thought I would do a mini review of the Key Lime Sailing Club. Tim Webb said that he'd been there and it was a little funky, which it is. It's sort of more like an old summer place than it is like a resort. Some of the cabins are quite a bit nicer than others, actually some are quite nice. The boats are older and not maintained in top shape but they are definitely functional. It's sort of a Boat Yard with cabins rather than a Marina with a resort hotel. It's also priced that way. Also, there is a great diner/restaurant next door. It's a very friendly and casual atmosphere with really good food. The seafood is particularly great.

It was wonderful to get my mid-January sailing fix, for sure. It looks like a long time here in New England before sailing season.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby seandwyer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:23 pm

KC,
The price, look and feel all sound positively perfect to me! One thing I don't like is touristy places, and well, I'm not sure what the price is, but it certainly seems like the kind of place I would like from your description. More boat yard with cabins sounds perfect! Next you'll be telling us that they serve beer in that diner too!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Sean,

Yep, they have beers on tap as well as microbrews, a decent selection on their wine list, as well. That's probably why we ate there 3 nights in a row, aside from the great food. It was nice to be able to walk back to the cabin and not have to get in the car. It was definitely a place the locals go. There was plenty of banter from the regulars and the waitstaff and people seem to know each other's names. More of a family restaurant than a bar, though.

As we were sailing back to the dock we would talk about going to other restaurants that we'd heard about from the other sailors but by the time we got back in we'd just say "you want to just go over to Mrs. Mac’s?" The spicy conch chowder was particularly nice with a beer. I got a 3 fish combination that had been grilled with Cajun blackened spices that was some of the best I've had anywhere. They did the tuna to perfection. Being that Key Largo is one of the sport fishing capitals of the country the fish was very fresh. And… I'm used to getting really fresh fish here in Stonington.

KC
K.C. Walker

regattas

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:45 pm

I forgot to mention that there was a Buccaneer regatta going on while we were there. The Upper Keys Sailing Club, which was just a few doors up, was sponsoring the Dead Dog and Tin Whistle Regatta. Of course I had to get out and watch some of that from the water. Those guys definitely have some hot boats. I grabbed a kayak and paddle down to their docks when they were coming in and talked to a couple of them. Nice boats!

Actually, there were quite a few regattas in the area, as well. While sitting at the counter of the restaurant next door to where we were staying, I was talking to a freelance sports photographer who was freelancing for Sail Magazine and covering some of the regattas, she had some pretty spectacular shots. She was about ready to bail on the Keys and head up to Miami to cover the 49ers regatta because the wind was supposedly going to be blowing 20+ and I'm sure she wanted to catch some of those spectacular crashes.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:45 pm

What a great time and place to spend some mid winter days. The place sounds like a real down to earth (sea) establishment. Its hard to fathom a regatta in January but then again, where I live we are up to the coamings in snow. I’m happy for you but very jealous. :wink: Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

key lime

Postby kokko » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm

I am very happy to read this. I've had the web page to Key Lime saved for many years, waiting for the right chance to get away from MN. It won't be this year. Finally we are chartering down in the BVI with three other couples. We have a monter cat rented and will be sailing 3/7-14.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:47 am

kokko,

That sounds like a great getaway! Are you getting it as a bareboat charter or with a crew?

KC
K.C. Walker

BVI

Postby kokko » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 am

A bareboat charter of a 40'cat from Moorings. Although I am not crazy about sailing cats, it is the only reasonable choice. We have a total of four couples and the cat comes with four cabins and two heads. All eight of us are experienced sailors. We are all part of a racing fleet on White Bear Lake, MN, and all of us have big water experience - both blue water and Lake Superior. My wife and I have cruised with one of the couples and they are ideal crusing companions - good sailors and "low matintenence. The other two couple I know from racing and sailing socials.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Miscellaneous