What tow vehicle are you using

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 pm

My towing vehicle is nearly half the age of the boat - with luck we'll get there, although the other boat owners appear to be getting jealous. One of them tried to take it out by backing a trailer into the passenger door this summer. :shock:

Another good reason to hold off on a replacement....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 am

Tim,

You have a good mechanic if a trans rebuild was $1300. I also doubt that towing the DS did your transmission in. I might have a different opinion if you were dragging it over Pike's Peak every weekend, but not in the flatlands of east Florida. Most automatic transmissions now have a lockup torque converter to improve highway gas milage. If your gear selector has both "D" and "3", you probably have the lockup converter. In the "D" selection, the trans will lock and unlock the coverter as needed. In "3", it stays out of lockup. Gas milage will suffer as the rpm is higher.

Glad you're back on the road.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Me too Chris! Now let's get back to thinking about that ICW trip ...

GL, I think some people must really have it in for you! Your boat gets gored on the water, your car gets gored on land ... :twisted:
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:Me too Chris! Now let's get back to thinking about that ICW trip ...

You were discussing that trip in another thread on the DS2 subforum, but it's changed so much from being DS2 specific to "location" that I think I might move your thread on sailing the ICW to "locations and events".

TIM WEBB wrote:GL, I think some people must really have it in for you! Your boat gets gored on the water, your car gets gored on land ... :twisted:

With some of the damage I've taken on the water you could make a case that I might have contributed somehow in "setting up" the situation, or could have (possibly) done something heroic to ward it off last minute. That's much tougher when you are a sitting duck at the boat launch :)

Not that I haven't done stupid stuff myself, like t-boning a dock.... :oops:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous