What tow vehicle are you using

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm

A DS is not all that heavy, which should make a wide range of tow vehicles possible. I'm curious to find out what others are using, and whether any particular details have worked well - or not.

I'm using an early model Ford Explorer, so one of these days I may need to replace it. So I'm beginning to look around.

It's certainly big enough that I don't even notice I'm towing anything. But that wouldn't be a requirement.

I've used the FWD a few times. Never on a launch, but getting the trailer off the grassy lot where its parked during the off season.

The split rear hatch (window opens separately from hatch) has proven really convenient. Can't imagine how I would cope without that feature. There's always something I need from the car when the trailer is hooked up to it. So if your favorite tow vehicle has that feature, let me know.

Other than that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Ford. Don't particularly like the way it handles (very bouncy), nor the lack of fuel economy.

So, I'm curious whether you guys have any favorites, and whether there are some other details you like/dislike about your current (or prospective) tow vehicles.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

tow car

Postby Denmall@comcast,net » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:35 pm

I have towed this boat with a compact car , a Honda CRV,and now with a toyota RAV4 with a six cylinder engine. The toyota which can be set to full time four wheel drive under 25mph is close to ideal for this use. It is also a quick and comfortable car. By the way is your Green Lake in Maine?
Denmall@comcast,net

Postby algonquin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm

My primary tow vehicle is a full size GMC 2WD pickup with a 350 V8. It is certainly far more than is needed to tow my DS. I have had this truck for 15 years now. Bought it at an auction for $2,500. Can’t really justifying replacing it at this point. I also use this truck for my business. I have had no problem with only 2WD even though I use a lot of rustic boat ramps.

My second tow vehicle is an older model Jeep Cherokee 4 x4 with a 2.5L 4cyl and 4 speed tranny. Although it tows my DS just fine it is a little underpowered for long grades. I prefer the pickup over the Jeep because the trucks longer wheel base makes for a much nicer ride. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 pm

I use my Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 L V-6. I make the 4 hour trip to our summer place with the van and the boat loaded with gear. I think the matchup for this weight boat is just fine. With front wheel drive I've had no trouble on ramps. I did put a foam bumper on my front mast cradle to cushion the liftgate. I can open the liftgate most of the way to get to the gear. I have used a boat cushion in the past and even that seems like a minor inconvenience. I prefer a liftgate to other configurations of tailgate opening.

I recently bought a Honda CRV with the idea of it eventually becoming my tow vehicle. I'm having 2nd thoughts though. It's a nice vehicle but it's amazing how much smaller it is than the Caravan. The Honda does get marginally better fuel economy but as my 2nd vehicle, that doesn't get many miles/year, the fuel economy is really secondary.

I used to haul my 18 foot sailboat that weighed 750 pounds with my Volvo 740 Turbo and that was plenty comfortable.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby 1965healy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm

3.0L V6 2000 Mitsu Montero Sport LS. Can't even tell it's behind me, spent the first time towing the boat constantly looking in the rear view mirror to make sure it was still back there.
1965healy
DSII 7404
1965healy

Postby persephone » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:40 pm

2003 VW passat (fwd) 4cyl. I manage about 23-24 (highway) mpg with the DS in tow. Works just fine even on the sandy, hilly ramp at QYC. Of course having said that I'll get stuck this year. The vehicles capacity is 1000 or 1200 (can't remember), brakes are fine even under duress. Obviously I don't have much spare room for gear etc...
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby GreenLake » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Sounds like most of you have the DS positioned so far back on your trailer that you can get at the back of your towing vehicle with the trailer attached. That's not the case for mine. I can get the glass window open, but that's about it. The tongue weight seems fine, so I wouldn't want to move the DS further back on the trailer (and the CB is supported by a roller as it's configured now).

Anyone know of an alternative towing vehicle (other than obviously a pickup) where one can open the upper part of the rear gate? I think I've seen this on some Hondas, but can't remember which ones.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 am

GreenLake wrote:Anyone know of an alternative towing vehicle (other than obviously a pickup) where one can open the upper part of the rear gate? I think I've seen this on some Hondas, but can't remember which ones.

I know most of the mid 90s and earlier full size Chevy Blazers, Ford Broncos, and Dodge RamChargers had a roll down rear window with a drop tailgate. Not sure about anything newer however. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

my towing vehicles

Postby Roger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 am

I have used both a Ford Ranger with a V6 and a Toyoto Corolla without any problem. I have a bit of a longer tongue so that I don't have to get my wheels wet at the ramp.
Roger

Postby seandwyer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Greenlake,

I use a Ford Escape and to me it seems a purely perfect towing combination for the DS. I think if you are thinking about a new vehicle this would be an ideal option - and they are not bouncy or uncomfortable (as you mentioned about the Explorer). I have a good amount of towing experience - everything from stock trailers, to towing livestock trailers, to tractor trailers, and I am very pleased with the way the escape performs. It is a smaller SUV so it gets pretty good mileage. I CAN open the glass window on the back, but there is not enough room for the door to open. I think when I am towing I get about 27 miles per gallon - when not trailering I get about 30+. Now, all that said - mine is a 2.0 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual. Personally, for towing I prefer a manual, but that's up to you. It's front wheel drive so the ramps have never been a problem, and breaking seems perfectly adequate. If you are concerned about power go for the 6 cylinder. I can't complain about the way mine performs, and that is usually with the car filled with passengers as well as he boat and gear in tow. You may find it a little sluggish if you are used to 8 cylinders, or be happy is used to 4 - I'd test drive one obviously. I did a lot of research on efficiency and the Escape had the best mileage of all the SUV's except the Honda CRV - But the CRV was thousands more and the mileage increase was only a mile or 2 per gallon. I actually get better mileage than the manufacturer promised - but that's due to the manual gear box and driving habits. I'm sure you would be happy with the 6 cylinder automatic if you are not a stick guy.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby ctenidae » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:07 pm

2008 Porsche Cayenne. If it weren't for the mast, I think we could open the rear door. The DS does sit way, way back on the trailer, though.
ctenidae

Postby pjr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 pm

1998 VOLVO XC70. Never had and issue with it as my daily driver or tow vehicle, but i think I'm going to replace it with a Benz ML320. It's just a height preference thing i guess...
pjr

Postby MrPlywood » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

'94 Volvo 850, 168HP 5 cylinder. The car and trailer seem well matched. I can hardly tell the boat is back there. The trip up to one lake is over some fairly steep grades, but they are no problem.
MrPlywood

Postby ChrisB » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am

Currently using a 4WD Honda Pilot; overkill for towing this boat. The Pilot has a one piece tailgate which cannot be fully opened with the trailer connected (hits the upright that holds the winch and mast). I can open the gate partway and reach most of the (smaller) stuff back there. 17/22 mpg is the best you will get from a Pilot.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 am

I've got a pretty long trailer which I find nice for towing and launching. You might want to consider this rather than restricting yourself to a vehicle that fits your trailer. I assume you will be using the vehicle much more than as just a tow vehicle.

KC
K.C. Walker

Next

Return to Miscellaneous