What tow vehicle are you using

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Currently I effectively have a "dedicated" towing vehicle. Mainly because I have access to another car and I rather drive that than the Explorer, when I don't have to haul or tow anything. But that may all change - which is one of the reasons I'm interested in getting all this info.

Anyone ever tried to use a Honda Element?

@KC: Your comment is appreciated. However, in my situation, a longer trailer would have its own drawbacks as a solution, because of where I park the boat. As it is, I do get close to getting my tires wet, but only barely. So that has not been an issue.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Kleanbore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

My tow vehicle is a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup with extended cab, 4 cylinder 2.2L engine and Leer cap. I can open the rear cap window without hitting the mast in the cradle. The boat is shoved fairly far forward on the trailer to get the tongue weight correct. I towed my boat from Beaufort, SC to San Antonio, TX without any issues. No problems so far, even in the Texas hill country.
A buddy of mine pulls his O'Day Mariner 2+2 (19 ft.) with a Honda Element and it is a bit on the limit of capabilities. The Mariner has a much higher displacement than the DS (more than double). We towed my DS with the Element and it worked just fine.
I am thinking of building a tongue extension for my rig to get the boat floating off the trailer quicker while keeping my drive tires (my truck is 2 WD) dry. Has anyone else done this?
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby MrPlywood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:49 pm

I have considered a tongue extension, especially since I plan to launch in salt water this summer and I'd like to keep the car as far away from the water as possible. I think I have some info around here somewhere, either a link or something from a book. I'll see what I can find.
MrPlywood

Postby algonquin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Maybe the cheapest solution to this rear door clearance problem is to install a taller mount for the front mast support and on most trailers you can also unbolt and move the entire winch assembly aft quite a bit. This new mounting point may need you to adjust the bunk or rollers or whatever supports your boat but will give you some extra clearance for those big rear vehicle doors. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Tow Vehicle

Postby UCanoe_2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Mine is a Toyota Tacoma 4WD with 2.7 litre 4 cyl. and 5 speed. I have to downshift on steep hills, but otherwise don't notice the weight of the boat much. 4WD low range is really handy when the lake level is low and the trailer tires drop off the end of the ramp into a hole in the mud.

I have gotten 25 mpg. towing a Finn on a long trip. I haven't calculated gas mileage exactly towing the DS, which of course is a larger and heavier boat. I think it will come out around 23 mpg.

The truck has a camper top which is ideal for stowing wet boating gear. Both the topper tailgate and the truck tailgate will open fully when the trailer is hooked up.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby jeadstx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 am

I tow with a 2006 Jeep Commander (3.7L, 4wd). Hardly notice the boat is back there. No strain on the Jeep. Jeep is capable of driving in water up to 18" deep, so I don't worry about those times when I have to back it down into the water a bit.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Fernley » Wed May 04, 2011 4:20 pm

We use either my wife's Volvo XC 70 or my 1978 Jeep CJ5.
Ed & Lori
Fernley

Postby scbobk11 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm using a 2006 Subaru Outback wagon. No problem with towing at all. 4 cyl engine has not gotten strained at all. The all wheel drive comes in handy on slippery boat ramps.

I am able to open the rear hatch completely.
scbobk11

Postby bm1981 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 pm

2007 Nissan X-terra 3.5L

What wait I'm towing a trailer?

Seriously never noticed it at all. My truck is long enough and torequy enough that the 800Lbs we're pulling never really made a difference.
1981 DS II " Miller Time"

Tri Color Lt. Blue/ Blue/ Black Sail # 10825

Barnegat Bay NJ
bm1981

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Click here for the ultimate towing vehicle

http://youtu.be/QPfD6_LqUoE

and they are not alone using that particular towing vehicle: from a report for a small boat flotilla, I know of someone who pulled a small trimaran partway across Europe this way.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mbowser » Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

In stark contrast to the smart car tow vehicle, I am in total overkill mode. Ford F-150/Triton V-8 with transmission cooler and tow package (I didn't buy the truck for towing this boat). Last year I towed the my DSII from central NH over Killington pass VT and Green Mountains to Lake George and the truck never noticed.

Of course, now that fuel is hovering around $4 I ride my bicycle to work and save the truck for towing and hauling activities.
mbowser

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 am

I recently put a hitch on my Toyota Corolla and had occasion to tow my DS about 430 miles with it. I have no complaints using the Corolla as a tow vehicle.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, Thursday afternoon my beloved '97 Nissan Altima got rear-ended at a traffic light by a ditsy teenager texting on her cell phone while driving. ARRRGGGGHHH! My hitch tongue went right through her radiator, but thankfully neither of us was injured, and I wasn't actually towing the boat at the time ...

Car is totalled. Man, I loved that little car, and it always towed The Red Witch just fine with it's 5-speed stickshift. Shame that I just put a new clutch, tires, brakes, and A/C on it!

So, now car shopping again. My wife recently bought a nice clean '05 PT Cruiser, and has offered to let me put a hitch on it. It's an automatic. That's very gracious of her, and I'm thinking of taking her up on the offer. I think the PT would pull the boat just fine, and I think the rear hatch would clear the trailer/mast - gonna check that first. If it works out, hey, maybe I'll look for another PT and we'll have a matched pair! Of course, it would have to be one of the "Woodies", with the faux paneling on the sides ... :D

So, anyone else ever tried towing the DS with a PT Cruiser?
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Subaru Legacy, 2200cc. But I towed a previous DSII for years with a Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon, only 1800cc. Slow, but no problems, even in the mountains. The first boat came mounted way back on its trailer, so opening the hatch was not a problem. I had never towed a boat before, so I did not realize that the boat was really unstable on the lightly-loaded tongue.

The current boat came mounted far forward -- so close that I could not open the car hatch and could not lift the tongue without a jack. I inched the boat back a little at a time over the course of a season. I got it to a sweet spot where the car opens, the CB is supported by a roller, I can wrestle the tongue off the hitch ball by hand, and the tongue still has enough weight on it to be stable.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 pm

There's a guy I sail with who tows a slightly smaller dinghy with his PT cruiser. Should be fine for a DS.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous