Bottom paint question

Moderator: GreenLake

Bottom paint question

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm new to the DS community and this will be my first season out on the water. I have a saltwater moring to use and was wondering to what extent I should paint the inside of the CB trunk and C.B. with anti-fouling?

Hope someone can help out, Thanks in advance.
Moose

Postby jdubes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Welcome. I'm from the area also, where in Fairhaven are you going to keep your DS? Somewhere off of West Island?
jdubes

Postby persephone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm

I would say that you will want to paint the entire board and maybe 6 or 7 inches up into the well. Especially in the well as it is difficult to get in there and clean.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

rudder too

Postby Roger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

and don't forget to antifoul the rudder as well. It can be a real mess to clean up, although easier than the cb trunk.
Roger

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 am

I gave it some thought and figured if the draft is 9" that I should try to paint 9" into the trunk. At first I painted the board leaving only a small area on the top/aft section unpainted but it will be easy enough to paint.
As for the rudder, I feel like I'll end up taking it off and storing it in the cuddy when I'm not sailing, should I still paint it below the W.L.?

jdubes wrote:Welcome. I'm from the area also, where in Fairhaven are you going to keep your DS? Somewhere off of West Island?

jdubes,
A friend has a mooring they dont use so it's mine to use for free (Score!). It'll be closer to Clarks Cove/Padanaram although I do plan on spending some time anchored off the back side of the island.
I see your from rochester, so not too far away. Where do you keep your boat? or do you trailer?
Moose

Postby persephone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:33 am

Using the draft seems like the logical way to go. I didn't even think about that. I think you will find that the 9" is at the bow, and that is fine as it will give you a safety margin at the trunk. The tough part is getting it all clean in there and finding those mini rollers so you can get in there.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby jdubes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 am

Moose wrote: A friend has a mooring they dont use so it's mine to use for free (Score!). It'll be closer to Clarks Cove/Padanaram although I do plan on spending some time anchored off the back side of the island.
I see your from rochester, so not too far away. Where do you keep your boat? or do you trailer?

A free mooring, that's nice. I usually follow the wind and dry sail my DSI. I've faired my bottom and don't have any anti-fouling paint on it. I also have a mooring in Mattapoisett Harbor for my Pearson Ensign. I've put in at Clarks Cove for the BBR, very easy.
jdubes

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Agree'd it is going to be though getting up into the C.B. trunk.

jdubes wrote:
A free mooring, that's nice. I usually follow the wind and dry sail my DSI. I've faired my bottom and don't have any anti-fouling paint on it. I also have a mooring in Mattapoisett Harbor for my Pearson Ensign. I've put in at Clarks Cove for the BBR, very easy.

Not that im ready for racing at all but I didnt think the BBR had a DS class? I thought about just hauling her in and out but I think it makes more sense to keep her moored wheras im not going to be racing or anthing, more for cruising and fun.
Moose

Postby jdubes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Moose wrote:Agree'd it is going to be though getting up into the C.B. trunk.

jdubes wrote:

Not that im ready for racing at all but I didnt think the BBR had a DS class? I thought about just hauling her in and out but I think it makes more sense to keep her moored wheras im not going to be racing or anthing, more for cruising and fun.

No the BBR doesn't have a DS class. I like to go out there during the activities. I've got some friends that race J/24's.
jdubes

Return to Miscellaneous