Trailer Legnth

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer Legnth

Postby heimtun » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Hello all. I'm new here and am about to buy my first DS... it's a late 70's DS II.

I've seen many photos and postings during my search and there seem to be two distinct lengths of trailers for the DS.

Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of what appear to be shorter trailers and ones that seem to be the full length of the boat?

TIA,

Wayne
heimtun

Location: Fairfield County, CT - Looking for a good launching location

Postby jdubes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Here's the launching perspective. A large a tire will require a deeper launching ramp. My last DS trailer had 13' tires and it limited the launch sites i could use during low tide. Think of it this way, larger tires require deeper launch sites and a longer overall trailer to push it out farther into the water. The shorter tire requires less launch depth, and less overall trailer length.
jdubes

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:19 pm

I don't own more than one trailer, so I can't base my input on a true comparison. However, the trailer as shown

[thumb=839]
[click on image to enlarge]

works reasonably well. The bunks extend a bit behind the frame, so not much of the boat is unsupported. As this isn't a motorboat with a heavy outboard hanging from the transom, I don't think the transom needs to be supported.

Each cross member of the trailer frame has a roller. on sits nicely underneath the centerboard, supporting it.

I moved the winchpost forward so that I would get what felt to me a decent tongue weight. Note that when balanced just so, the trailer wheels end up a or slightly behind the thwarts.

On my favorite ramp, the trailer hubs don't need to be immersed for launching, but I've never figured out a way to retrieve the DS without putting the rear roller just below the water's surface, which means immersing the hubs. (By using Bearing Buddies I've been able to limit the damage to the hubs, even with saltwater launches, but I'll have to replace the springs before soon).

I changed the rear roller to one with a sharp groove at some point. That centers the bow, giving me time to straighten out the boat. All I need to do is keep the boat straight from then on.

This trailer has a break-back feature, that is you can tilt frame, bunks and rollers while the tongue stays flat, creating a steeper angle. That often helps in launching, but I've never been able to make that work in reverse, because the bow is so vertical that it catches at the next roller instead of gliding up.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby heimtun » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks to you both for your feedback. I'll have to take a closer look at the trailer on the boat that I'm looking to buy - but is sounds like it will be OK.
Wayne
heimtun

Location: Fairfield County, CT - Looking for a good launching location

Return to Miscellaneous