Dumb Question regarding size of lake to sail on...

Moderator: GreenLake

Dumb Question regarding size of lake to sail on...

Postby heimtun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:06 pm

I live in southwestern Connecticut and I'm reviewing the lakes in the area for possible outings. The waterway guides indicate the lake size in acres - but I don't have a reference point.

So, what would be the minimum size lake (assuming a roundish shape) that would a decent size for sailing our Daysailor. Is there an optimal size?

TIA,

Wayne
heimtun

Location: Fairfield County, CT - Looking for a good launching location

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 pm

The smallest lake in my area is 92 acres when it's full, with about a third of that in a relatively narrow channel. It's just big enough to practice on, but I have to change course every couple of minutes as I run out of room. I would recommend something considerably bigger for a leisurely day sail.
Alan

Postby seandwyer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I regularly sail on a lake that is about 590 acres and it seems about right. Big enough that you don't feel boxed in. I would guess that as long as the lake has adequate draft in the majority of its total area, anything 300 acres or more would work - but might feel claustrophobic. On the other end of things, I don't think the lake can ever be too big - Erie and Lake Michigan are fabulous - you just may never use all of it. :)

Personally I prefer another lake nearby that is about 7000 acres, but when they get that big you start running into unlimited horsepower and cigarette boats, lots skiing and congestion with no one particularly watching where they are going. This becomes really bothersome. So, to me, you either need something small or something really big so everyone has room. I only go on the 7000 acre lake during the week or before memorial day / after labor day.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby algonquin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 pm

The advantage of a small lake is that you can sail all day and at the end of the day you are never to far from the dock :lol:

I personally prefer a lake that offers some challenges such as islands and wood lines that affect the wind flow. I also look for lakes that have low power boat usage. Fortunately in the area I live in most of the power boats are lower horsepower open fishing boats. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 am

The advantage of a small body of water, whether it's a lake by itself, or a bay or a channel is that it will really challenge your tacking skills. :D

Not long after I got my DS, I once spent an enjoyable hour late one summer night tacking up a deserted shipping channel where the wind blew only along one side. We had to make each tack as close to the side as possible and not lose speed on the windless side. (At that point in the day, or rather night, not using the motor had become a point of honor).

However, anything below 300 acres will probably feel limiting. I've sailed a smaller boat than a DS on a lake with about 250 acres and despite an island to provide something to sail around, it didn't offer enough interest for me to seek it out again. However, I regularly sail a different lake around twice that size with my DS. (There's a speed limit, so powerboats are not a problem, but better get out of the way of the occasional gravel barge :shock: ) Without using the "exits" on either end, the lake is good
for a leisurely 2h daysail.

Altogether, the nicest situation is where you have connecting bodies of water, or a larger lake with a convoluted outline. Then you get to explore different sailing areas.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Peterw11 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:27 am

I keep my DS at a friend's house about 20 minutes from here. It's small, (188 acres, I just found out), but roughly square in shape and open to the wind from every direction. I got in a few hours yesterday, the wind pretty steady at 10-15 with gusts to 25, but literally changing from westerly to southwesterly to southerly every few minutes.

The upside, of course, is that I can leave my home and be on the boat and underway in about 40 minutes. The downside is the size of the lake.
I've spent many hours there and there are no surprises left as far as scenery goes. There are some powerboats out there, usually towing waterskiers, but not enough to cause a problem. There are also a half dozen, or so, sailboats, I see regularly, including a couple of DS's.

I'd like to try some other, larger, locations, but the current situation allows me to spend as much time as I want sailing. Weather permitting, I can get 2 or 3 hours in on weekday afternoons and evenings, at least 3 days a week, and twice that on weekends.

There's also a much larger lake about 2 miles from my house that I could use, but I'd have to trailer, launch, and rig by myself, and given the amount of time that takes, would probably be a net loss as far as sailing time goes. That, and it's a much narrower body of water with very quirky wind conditions, so it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
Peterw11

Optimal sized Daysailer

Postby Data Recovery » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:10 am

Hi,
Here is the link that helps you out for finding an optimal sized Daysailer.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-revi ... ckpit.html

Thanks
Photo Recovery
Data Recovery

Return to Miscellaneous