DSx what if/wish list

Moderator: GreenLake

DSx what if/wish list

Postby persephone » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 am

After talking with folks, my own experience with an old Daysailer and interacting with folks here on the forum I thought I'd start a thread about the 'next' Daysailer.
My idea in this would be to build a new boat that would be competitive and properly setup for racing out of the box but still comfortable and easy to recreational sail single handed. Keep in mind that it would have to comply with current DSA regs, along with USCG regs (flotation).

So what would you like to see in the way of layout, equipment and options? Where do you think the ideal placement for a specific component should be (or NOT be). No detail is too small for this hypothetical build, so feel free to chime in.
What would you be willing to pay for a new DS? Let's assume two basic configurations, cruising and racing. The hulls, centerboard, and rudder would be identical. The cruising boat would have all the normal equipment for main and jib, but have a hinged mast and external halyards. The racing version would add spinnaker equipment, a traveler on the main and a solid, tapered mast with internal halyards.

That's all I have, so I'll turn this over to all of you.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:31 am

For the cruising boat:

1. A strong, well-located mounting platform for a house battery.

2. Lockers built into the benches, like the one on the forward port side of the DSII.
Alan

Return to Miscellaneous