daysailer vs.javelin questions

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby ash13brook » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:08 am

I'm looking at both a Javelin and a Daysailer I.
I have a few questions before I buy.
a) Can the Daysailer mast be raised by one person? I'll almost never have anyone with me.
b) Has anyone ever had either of these over on their side?
c) How hard are they to right?
d) Would it be prudent to put a float on top of the mast?
e) Is everyone happy with the roller reefing?
f) I'd like opinions for picking one over the other.
All info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
ash13brook

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:02 pm

The DS mast can be raised by one person, particularly if it's a divided mast or deckstepped mast with tabernacle. Mine is a keel-stepped mast and I raise and lower it by myself.

I have two modifications that help me with that. One is what I call a hinged sleeve. It's a short wood/metal sleeve that's hinged at the mast partners. You insert the bottom of the mast - it holds the bottom of the mast near the opening in the cuddy, so you can just tip up the mast as if it had a hinge. When vertical, you slide the mast down to the mast step.
This was put on by a PO (made from simple parts) and I use it every time.

The other modification is a tripod with block and tackle. That one I use when I want some extra assistance - as when I've hurt my back and don't want to lift anything.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby persephone » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Matt,

I have owned both of the boats (currently on the DS).

The Jav had a split mast (hinge plate above the deck) the DS does not. I raised the jav mast alone, as well as the DS. If you will be alone I would think putting the tabernacle on would be a good idea, unless you are a big tall guy with good upper body strength and coordination. Once you get used to it it really isn't tough.
I have not capsized either boat, come close but never gone the whole way. I have not seen anyone right an overturned DS alone. Never seen an overturned Jav. Best advice I can give is keep the mainsheet in your hand at all times (and make sure the cleat for it faces up... or you will need to push it down out of the cleat with your foot Ask me how I know).
Never used a masthead float, but the principal is sound.
Roller reefing is an owner installed option. I've never had one. The folks I know who do have it love it.

The javelin is a shorter version of the daysailer, yet it weighs almost as much and carries less sail. All that means it is slower. It has a steel centerboard (originals are galvanized and subject to gross corrosion problems be sure to have a good look at it as replacements are near $500) as opposed to the DS's composite. That makes the jav a bit more stable. It really depends on what you are going to use the boat for. Both are fine day cruisers. The DS with it's open cuddy has better storage and access to all parts for maintenance. But that open cockpit is a liability if you do go over as it is a large volume that can fill with water. The jav will fill up too, just not as quick. The bad note on the jav is it's next to impossible to empty the bilge while still in the water.

Try to find someone in your area that has a boat (check the yahoo javelin owner group). See if you can weasel your way into a sail. Most of us are pretty willing to take someone along now and then. If you are anywhere near Wakefield MA I'll take you out in my DS anytime.

Good luck,
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Matt,

I have had a 1980 DS II since about '91 or so. I've owned other boats but not a Javelin so I can't compare. My DS has a keel stepped mast and I raise it by myself all the time. I have never capsized my boat but based on what I have read on this forum and the size of the cockpit I would expect you would have a lot of bailing to do if you dumped the boat. As with any centerboard boat, you need to get on the CB quick to keep the boat from going all the way over. A float would probably buy you some time. Roller reefing on this boat is a POC. If the mainsail does not have reef points for slab (jiffy) reefing, have them put in by a sailmaker and use slab reefing; much easier and better set to the reefed sail.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Miscellaneous