SOLO STEPPING ONE PIECE MAST?

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

When asking people for directions I always request something very specific, like: tell me whether the lower end of the mast needs to go left/right or forward/backward. With that approach, the input I get from random bystanders is about as good as that I get from fellow sailers.

As for doing the blind dart game, it's a "zen" thing :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdubes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 pm

And the best thing about stepping a mast solo at an active boat launch, is being asked while your deep into no-return territory trying to get the mast into the step. "Hey are you going to be a while?"

One time I respond in a stressed tone "one minute" right a the point where i was trying to muscle the mast into the step. The guy took it personally. If i hadn't just installed a brand new Windex (30bucks) I would have acted like he startled me and let the mast go.

I'll never understand why a windex costs so much, sorry for the tangent.
jdubes

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:46 pm

The one time I dropped a mast, the Windex survived!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re:

Postby JimTan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:17 pm

GreenLake wrote:Without a picture I cannot really visualize your mast step. But however it's configured, the function of a mast step is to fix the mast horizontally as well as supporting it from below.

You are not relying on gravity to hold the mast down, but on the substantial tension in your shrouds and forestay. That would explain the lack of a "positive connection" you see.

As for raising a mast, there's a very simple contraption that you could add that would allow you to tip the mast. It's a hinged sleeve.

It fixes the foot of the mast while you tip it up and, being a sleeve, lets the mast slide down to the cuddy floor once it's vertical.

The steps to raise the mast are similar to what Moose describes, but instead of pulling the mast up from above, I push it up standing in the cockpit. There's also never the part where the mast is held up only by me, because one end is always contained in the sleeve.

I also experimented with a tripod. That may be overkill, but it gives even more positive control when I'm on awkwardly tilted ground or exhausted after a long cruise.

The link leads to a description that also has drawings of the sleeve and photos of the whole thing in action.

Thank you very much again!
This design solves my problem. It will allow me to step the mast on water and demast on water.
A little modification maybe able to turn it into a trailer mast support too.
Can I have more pictures of it?
JimTan

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous