Anyone Preparing for Hurricane Earl ?

Moderator: GreenLake

Anyone Preparing for Hurricane Earl ?

Postby kellyima » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:12 pm

It's supposed to affect the entire east coast from Florida through the NC Outer Banks and NY Long island to Cape Cod.

I have my DS in the water in Long Island and if it looks like Earl will hit, will be pulling it out of the water and moving it far, far away.

Any one else thinking about this? Has anyone actually had a DS get caught in or close to a hurricane?
kellyima

Postby ctenidae » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 pm

I've just started to think about whether I should start thinking about this. We're on a mooring in Norwalk Harbor, which is probably less than optimal if things get unpleasant. Could probably pull around into the marsh behind the neighborhood, and try to think of a way to keep her there.

Depends on where the storm goes, though, I guess. 50 miles east, no big deal, just a strong storm. 100 miles west, though, and the boat may be the least of our worries...
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby jpclowes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 am

As a former Long Islander, who went through Hurricane Gloria back in the '80s, I'm thinking about you guys.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 am

Yes, I decided to pull my boat up on the hard. I'm 3.5 hours away from where I keep it at the dock up in New Hampshire. It's not likely that Earl would get in that far but it would be a problem to try to get up there if it did.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby ctenidae » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:34 am

Looks like we're pretty much getting a miss, so not doing anything spectacular.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby UCanoe_2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm about 250 miles from the coast with a mountain in between. I had Force 6 wind and heavy rain for an hour or two this evening. Not particularly dangerous on land, but definitely weather I would not want to sail in. I checked the weather on the Web, and at that time Earl was about on the same latitude (38 degrees) but about 6 degrees of longitude to the east. That would put him roughly 500 miles away. Wunderground said Earl's winds were 75 mph, just above the lower limit of hurricane speeds. I was impressed with the power and size of this weather system. Now the sky is clear and I can see the stars.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Return to Miscellaneous