Class question

Moderator: GreenLake

Class question

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 am

Found this interesting thread on the sailing anarchy forum.

Keeping a class modern

The particulars for that class are very different (boat, location, competitive environment) but the issue are familiar, and would seem relevant. Those who are members and get a DS Quarterly will have seen the membership numbers.

There was a long thread in the DS1 sub-forum on joining the DSA and now, with the active sailing season (almost) over, it would seem an opportune time to pick that discussion up again.

A couple of points to get this started:

One of the posters put nicely: "... the real question is how to keep the class strong, not modern. That can only be answered by having a full understanding of where the class fits in the sailing market it lives in."

What's the real market for the DS. for the DSA?

The SA thread has a link to a promotional video for the boat in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXumSDGP_4

which I suspect speaks to the strengths of that boat. What would be different for a DS?

Their boat is a home-built design. That means, new boats can enter at reasonable cost. For the DS, as we found out in another thread, the cost differential between a new boat and a refurbished one is prohibitive.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:36 am

As you indicated the class must also be affordable. The DS certainly is with many well equipped boats for sale at a modest cost compared to new. It is about as modern as I would want to invest in . Part of the allure of the DS to me is its history and longevity. I enjoy the classics whether in cars or boats. There is something special sailing a boat that was only made a few years after I was. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 am

I enjoy that, too. I was pleased, rather than annoyed, when I unearthed the fact that my boat must be 8 years older than its state registration indicates.

But that did not influence my purchase decision in any way - neither the age on paper, nor the real age.

What also didn't influence my purchase decision was the presence or absence of other boats of its kind - let alone a class association. The latter came as an unanticipated, but much appreciated bonus - represented by this forum, and pretty much exclusively by this forum.

The question that the 125 class was asking in the SA forum, Mylar sails or Dacron, is clearly not relevant in the context of the DS. But the larger question, what makes a class vibrant, remains pressing.

A class is not just the boat, and I claim, especially for a boat like the DS, not best defined by only the competive racers, which creates special challenges for a class association.

I'll stop here and let others chime in for a while.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdubes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm my opinion the trait the keeps a class fresh and vibrant is access. Access to boats and access to people with their boats. Take the DS, 12k is reasonable when compared to similar boats in the market, but quite high when it's viewed as the entry free. Some people aren't comfortable with Sailing, never mind having to refit a boat. So for some, buying used is off the table.

Access to people from the perspective of having many DS sailors and active fleet members. We have a very active J/24 fleet in my area. On any given race day you can walk down to the boat yard or the club and throw your hand in the air say "anyone need crew". The launch will call around and bring you out. We also have members that share crew mates to ensure everyone can race. In my Ensign fleet, we're always hosting kids from the schools and we share crew members. From 2010 to 2011 our Ensign fleet with increase by 4. We'll probably have 7-10 active members for every start next year.

So for me, if you can provide easy simple access, the fleet with be vibrant and successful.

I also agree with GreenLake, i didn't buy my DS because of the presence or absence of other boats. And this is largely because it was my first sailboat. With my Ensign that was a requirement. I had Bullseyes, J/24, J/80 , Ensigns and Shields to choose from. I choose an Ensign because it has an active fleet, and it's perfect for young kids due to it's open protective cockpit. J/24's and J/80's are purpose built racers not to be confused with a comfortable daysailer.

my2cents.

Jason
jdubes

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:46 am

That was an interesting thread. It seems to be a somewhat common thread running through a lot of classes. Sailing is expensive and time intensive as a sport, and as one person in that thread pointed out it's sort of at the pointy end of the stick as far as skill-based sports go.

In that thread there was a twentysomething guy who stated, "the classes of boats I am realistically looking into (or already in) are ones that have a good balance of 4 things:

1 lots of cheap old boats so its easy to buy in
2 low campaign and maintenance costs (DACRON PLEASE!!!)
3 decent numbers on the line
4 a fun and helpful crowd"

I think these were excellent points. And I think Jason pretty much nailed it, as well. What we lack in many places is point #3, decent numbers on the line. I think we've got the rest.

It's good to see that the membership numbers are trending upward from last year's numbers. It's not a huge increase but it's the right direction. I wonder how many of those additional members are due to forum members signing up. I guess it's time for me to renew.

I, like many, did not buy this boat because I knew about it ahead of time. Only after participating in this forum was I interested in fixing it up. If it wasn't for this forum I would probably be sailing the same tired old feeling hull with the same rigging. It's been really fun. I think that reasonably accessible racing for this boat would also be a blast.

It is pretty interesting to have a fleet of boats of which some off the earliest ones 40+ years later are competitive with the newest ones and on a national level!

KC
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Miscellaneous