The Jones

Moderator: GreenLake

The Jones

Postby ctenidae » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 am

Starting to feel it. Want to get back out on the water, starting to get antsy. Anyone else awaiting the return of warmer weather?

I don't want to hear from you few lucky souls who sail all year. ;)
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 am

I'm jonesing even though I could sail all year; just too busy with projects! Hang in there, spring is coming!
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 am

Oh yes, I'm Jonesing bad. Right now, snowshoeing would be the best way to get my boat. I've got to figure out some way to go sailing soon. Unfortunately, my wife is not a sailor. Last year we rented a cabin that included a boat down in Key Largo. She was a good sport about it. This year she gets to pick the warm place to go and it's not going to include a boat. Hopefully I can figure out some sort of sailing.

Does anybody know about reasonably priced sailing in Rincon, Puerto Rico?
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Wish I could say that I’m ready to go sailing when the weather permits. The reality is that I have to much on my plate or should I say jumbo platter to think about it much at this point. For now I have to settle for some arm chair sailing with a few videos and magazines. Looking out my back window I see “Feather” snuggled down in a sea of snow about three feet deep. In these parts spring comes late and is ushered in by another season affectionately known as “mud” season before it officially begins. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby William » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm feeling it too. I've been haunting my workshop looking for projects I can work on but I can't uncover the boat itself with all the snow around it.
Can't last till April!
William in Millbury
1960? O'day Ospray
William

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

OK, I'll chime in here, even tho I'm one of those who can "sail all year" ...

I just got back from Berlin, where it is very cold and snowy, but also where my lovely (German) wife decided she wanted to go to give birth to our beautiful daughter! Mom and baby are doing just fine, and will be back here next month. So, what was the first thing I did when I got back? Grabbed our doggie Balto (white german shepherd) from the kennel, and took him to the lake on the boat! Now, I just have to figure out how I'm gonna manage to get out to the lake as much once my wife and daughter get back home next month - hmmm ... how early is too early to start teaching an infant how to sail? ;-P

Neat side note tho: while in Berlin, we stayed at a place in Freidrichstafen (sp?), which is a funky little lakeside town on the Mugglesee, on the east side of Berlin, a lake about the size of lake Monroe down here, and while walking down there one day, I spotted the familiar Optimist logo on a van parked in front of a marina there, and so I went inside to talk to them, and they have a very active sailing program in the Summer for the kids, to include several daysailers! So, even in the bigger lattitudes this time of year, they're still talking about blow-boats ...

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby ctenidae » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:15 am

I'm reading "The Complete Sailor," it's getting so bad. Actually pretty interesting and well done. Always helpful to remind yourself of the right way to do things to help break bad habits.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Return to Miscellaneous