First Sail?

Moderator: GreenLake

First Sail?

Postby William » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:48 am

Anybody have their fitst time on the water yet (not counting you lucky Daysailors of the Southern climes)? In the Northeast the snow is melting but the lakes are alas still frozen. Of course, in Boston, I hear there is a sailing club that runs frostbite races every weekend(Rhodes 19s). that's a bit much for me though, I don't feel ready to sail Boston Harbor.
William in Millbury
1960? O'day Ospray
William

First Sail

Postby Skippa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Still have over a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure we will get more, The good news is that it melts fast this time of year, The lakes in Minnesota still have up to two feet of ice but it is time to start reviewing and organizing the project list. Bottom paint, Topping lift and perhaps new blocks for the headsail. I am ready !
Kevin
Skippa

Postby William » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm

A topping lift is on my to do list as well. I am thinking of doing something using my main halyard rather than a adding a permanant line.
William in Millbury
1960? O'day Ospray
William

Postby GreenLake » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:25 pm

We seem to get some of our worst weather around the equinoxes. Lately it's been a steady diet of heavy rains and gale warnings. Lots of snow in the mountains. Now if I only had an Opti.... :roll: 8) :lol:

Earlier in the Winter we had some OK, or more than OK, conditions for what constitutes our local cold-season series, but the last few weeks have been miserable, with no immediate end in sight. So we're back to marking time.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

First sail

Postby rnlivingston » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 am

Spring is close here in central Massachusetts. I see the edges of lakes and ponds starting to thaw and we should hava a complete ice out soon.

At the Webster Sailing Association, we plan to put the docks in April 2nd. My daysailer is not ready now, but my Mariner is and I hope to get a sail in that weekend weather permitting. I did get some sailing in this winter in my ice boat, but too much snow made the season very short.

I picked up paint this weekend at West Marine and hope to start on the Daysailer soon. Mostly cosmetic work, so I plan to have her in the water by the end of the month.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Postby Peterw11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 pm

I drove past Lake Quinsigamond this afternoon and it's still covered shore to shore, from what I could see. IIRC, Community Sailing doesn't launch til mid April.

Roger, I still plan on taking you up on your offer to sail Webster, this season, hopefully sooner rather than later.

William, I'm adding a topping lift as well to my DS1. I'm using the main halyard now, but a dedicated lift will make life so much easier. I picked up a $16.00 cheek block from D&R for just that purpose. Should be easy enough to rig.

Wow. three DS's within 10 miles of each other. We should all plan on getting together for a cruise sometime this season. Maybe William should meet up with us down in Webster.
Peterw11

Postby talbot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 pm

No snow in our valley, but those of us who wet-sail our boats are waiting for a thaw in the county parks bureaucracy that issues the moorage permits. My check cleared the bank, so I am expecting a Chinook wind to blow through my mailbox with a dock key, parking pass, and a list of rules and regulations. Songs of spring. Launch day is scheduled for April 2.
talbot

Webster Lake

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 am

Lake Quinsigamond usually thaws late. They tell me Webster is about 50% free of ice. All this cold weather is not helping.

Peter...in addition to the 3 of us in the area, there are 15 more Day Sailers parked at the club plus another 10 or so parked around the lake. They are still the most popular sailboat at the lake.

I hope we can get together this summer. All are welcome.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Postby William » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm

I was looking at the Webster Sailing Association website. It looks like a great place and very reasonably priced for a season.
William in Millbury
1960? O'day Ospray
William

Webster Sailing Association

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:08 pm

I've been a member of the Webster Sailing Association for over 30 years and have enjoyed every minute. With 72 dry sailing spots and 18 moorings, we can accomodate a lot of boats. Because we limit the size of the sailboats to 20 feet or less, the docks are very seldom crowded. Every Sunday in the summer we have racing...nothing too serious, but a lot of fun. We host a Day Sailer and Mariner Fleet.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:42 pm

I am about 1 hour south of Webster Lake in Connecticut near Mystic. If you guys decide to have a DS rendezvous I'd be happy to join in! I have yet to see another DS in action.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Miscellaneous