I have blundered

Moderator: GreenLake

I have blundered

Postby William » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

When I got my fixer upper sailboat last year I spent days trying to identify it since it had no numbers or id plates. I had thought it was an Ospray based on the dimensions and general hull shape. thanks to an old post I found on this forum I discovered its actually an old Beetle Falcon.
Will I be exiled from the daysailer forum until I can afford a real DS?
William in Millbury
1960? O'day Ospray
William

Postby algonquin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 pm

William !! :lol: I am sure no one here minds your love of sailing and small sailboats even if yours is a little different than most here on this site. Don’t let your boat deter you from staying involved with us. I don’t think it is really even necessary that you even own a boat to be here but we are glad you do. Brad

A Beetle Falcon ?? Cool 8) 8)
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Peterw11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Although somewhat familiar with Beetle Boats, ( a buddy of mine had a Beetle Cat when we were kids), I had to do a quick search to see what a Beetle Falcon was all about.

From what I can find, mistaking one for a DS is not that hard to do. The dimensions are very close (Falcon being 16', the DS listed as a 17), the cuddy shape is nearly identical, as is the overall layout and other features.
Seems like a boat we'd all be happy with.

They were even manufactured in the same area of MA, (Beetle in New Bedford, O'day, down the street in Fall River).

I'd say that if you don't own a DS, what you've got is pretty darn close.

I'm sure a lot of info found here is useful to you as well.
Peterw11

Postby Jett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Brad, I appreciate your comment about not having to own a DS to participate in the discussions. Though I sold my DS last fall, I still check this site once in a while, because there's plenty to learn about small boat sailing here.

At the moment, I trailer sail a ComPac 16, moor a Catalina 18 in a high mountain lake in CO during the summer, and keep a very old, very sturdy Venture 24 in a slip in the SF bay area, just so I can "camp" on it and sail once in a while there when all the CO lakes are frozen for part of the year. My boats, together, cost me less than the price of a new DS and trailer, and two of them are old enough that I'm constantly having to do something to maintain or upgrade them, sometimes using things I learn on this site.

Though there are some discussion groups related to all of these boats, none are as informative, and lively, as this one.
Jett Conner
Jett

Postby algonquin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Jett - Sounds like you have your own multi purpose navy. 8) I have family in Denver and hale from Colorado Springs. Used to keep my 23 foot Venture of Newport at the Pueblo reservoir. Wanted to sail some of the mountain lakes but didn’t get the chance. Great freshwater sailing in Maine now keeps me busy. The ComPac 16 is an ideal trailer sailer. I have been looking for one to add to my evolving fleet. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Jett » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 am

Brad, lucky for me that the admiral enjoys commanding a sizeable fleet!
Jett Conner
Jett

Return to Miscellaneous