Anybody launch for the season, yet?

Moderator: GreenLake

Anybody launch for the season, yet?

Postby Peterw11 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 pm

I haven't. Still waiting for a consistently moderate break in the weather.

Every warm-ish day seems to be followed by a bunch of cold and wet ones right behind it. Reminds me of the spring we had back in '09.

Just as well, I guess. I've still got a few little projects to finish before she's ready for the water.
Peterw11

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 16, 2011 3:43 am

Mid week races starting this week.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Come to the South

Postby UCanoe_2 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 am

My first sail of the season here in Virginia was April 10th, and I went again on Easter. I just spent a weekend on the Piankatank River.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby ctenidae » Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 am

Not yet. We just floated teh community docks in yesterday, and I have to get one more coat of paint on the hull before we put her in. Unfortunately, supposed to rain all week.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby bm1981 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 pm

I just got the paperwork for my mooring permit. I have a ton of work to do still but I hope to be on the beach / in the water in 2 weeks.

Tonight's recycling night and I need about 4 trash bags worth of soda bottles for the port side seat. I've got the port in just need more bottles.

With the beach mooring I need to fab up a set of cuddy doors just to keep my stuff in the boat while I'm away for the week.

I still need to join the back yard regatta and get a coat of bottom paint on the boat.

The sail is still at the sailmaker getting reefs and some stitching repaired.

Then I need to wake up the OB, and change the lower unit seal since its seeping

Then I'm on the water.
1981 DS II " Miller Time"

Tri Color Lt. Blue/ Blue/ Black Sail # 10825

Barnegat Bay NJ
bm1981

Postby dbk0630 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 am

I've had the opportunity to get out on my DS2 twice so far this spring. The first time was with my 20 year old son... on a day w/60 degree temps and 15-20 mph winds. It was a good day to go out under the main alone using the reef points I had put in over the winter. Other improvements included a 55mm Orbit rachet block that replaces the original Schaeffer block on the boom; and a 40lb trolling motor I picked up from Craigslist. I hadn't had a chance to install the reef hook on boom, so instead I gerry-rigged the tack for the front reef point using spare cleats on the boom. The reef point and other modifications worked great. The ratchet block is a great change... it may all be psychological, but my hands seemed much less fatigued after the sail (less white-knuckling). It was a touch blustery... so it was good to be able to drop the main and get back to the harbor under the trolling motor alone.

Shortly after that sail I was able to install the reef hook. To install the hook a friend helped me tap a 1/4-28 thread hole in place of the port-side rivet that attaches the gooseneck to the boom. We used a 1/4-28 button-socket SS cap-screw (from Fastenal) and a tad of blue Loctite to install the hook.

Around the same time, I also installed a set of new cleats for the centerboard control line... following the good suggestions offered by Tim Webb in this link:
http://www.daysailer.org/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=929. I don't have a picture of mine yet... though the only difference is that mine are set a little further back... and I left the old horn cleat in place.

The second sail was in the afternoon on Mothers Day w/the whole fam--i.e., my wife and two sons. We had a beautiful day with temps in the mid 70's and winds at about 10mph. I've only had the boat since last Sept and this was actually the first time I had more than one other person in the boat with me. I won't give everyone's weight (it was mothers day afterall) but we had a good 850 pounds of crew that day. Even with that weight, the boat sailed fine... we used both the jib and main (not reefed). I found the new centerboard control to be a great improvement over the old horn cleat.

I'm looking to get out again on Friday... winds are forecast at only 5mph but temps will be in the 70's.

Hoping you all get out on the water soon!
Dave K.
dbk0630

Postby algonquin » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Snow has only been gone for about a month. Ice out about three weeks ago. Now its rain followed by periods of more rain. The tarp is off and the trailer is registered but waiting on a little sun. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 am

Well we got a nice bit of sun for our season opener, but winds on the brisk side for the new crew. The race is all comers which some apparently mis-interpret as "free-for-all". So we got rammed from behind by a keel boat. A bit scary. Luckily a glancing blow. (I write "rammed" deliberately, because it seemed to have been entirely by choice, not accidental necessity).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Sailor Chlud » Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm

We've been out twice so far. Launched at Spruce Run in NJ two Saturdays ago with my two brothers. Nice day, water 58 degrees, air temps high 60's, wind 8-10, with higher gusts. Had so much fun we didn't even come in for lunch - just ate and cruised on. Cigars and Scotch after lunch made it a great first sail of the season.

Second sail, also at Spruce Run, with my boys. Again, nice conditions, but overcast, then showers just as we came off the water. New hand-carved tiller is working fine, except has a bit too much play in the fork - my sanding and shaping was a bit vigorous, and it does seem like it will be OK for cruising, but not racing.
John Chludzinski
DS1 #4101
Spotswood, NJ
Sailor Chlud

Postby ctenidae » Sun May 22, 2011 4:14 pm

28 cents got wet today. Beach launch, since we have neighborhood access. Worst part was our outboard was misbehaving, so i had to row out to our mooring in the dinghy towing a line.ni then tied off to the mooring and pulled the boat plus my wife to the mooring. The amazing part was just how easy it was to pull. Surprising, really.

Anyway, no time to sail, but at least she's in the water now!
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

ctenidae

Postby Marv Irwin » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm

The ice was off my lake here in Northern Ontario (Canada) three weeks ago....and the beast has been bobbing at the end of the dock for several days now. Unfortunately the Canadian weather dude has a cruel sense of humour. No wind....then too much wind....then perfect wind with buckets of rain. If this is global warming...it sucks. My sailing partner (and long suffering spouse) suggests alcohol as a temporary solution.
[thumb=986]
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby ctenidae » Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 am

Marv Irwin wrote: If this is global warming...it sucks. My sailing partner (and long suffering spouse) suggests alcohol as a temporary solution.
[thumb=986]

I am interested in your (partner's) ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

ctenidae

Postby seandwyer » Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Marv,

That's a nice looking boom tent. Where did you find it? I'm in the final stages of having a tent maker construct one, but until I see it on the boat, fitting snugly I won't be able to trust my measurements. Also, once it's made, it's mine whether it fits or not!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Marv Irwin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Sean,

When my old tent needed replacing I opted for D&R. The estimates from local guys who were willing to make a new tent using my old tired one as a template were not far off from D & R's cost. (At the time, 1 $CAN = 0.94 $US plus I had to pay duty.) The tent has performed well for 4 years. At the end of this season I will take it in for some preventative maintenance on the stitching. Although the tent is not watertight by any stretch of the imagination, it only allows a quart or two of water to accumulate after even the most intense wind/rain storms. My only "issue" has been with the shock cords that connect the "J" fasteners to the tent. After two years on the boat, the cord tends to let go and leads to the interesting challenge of retrieving "J" fasteners from the bottom of eight feet of cold lake water. Replacement of the shock cords at the first sign of wear should allow you to avoid this embarassment.
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby Clyde » Tue May 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Launched Monday for first time. Spent the last 7 months restoring my "new" DS1 circa 1980. Will dry sail her from the Lake Norman (NC)Sailing Club.

Summer has arrived here. Water temp is 83 degrees.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Next

Return to Miscellaneous