Naming a boat

Moderator: GreenLake

Naming a boat

Postby hectoretc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Hello all - another newbee here proving that maybe there actually are dumb questions after all... I'd like to name my DSII but am wondering if there is a protocol or even courtousy process involved so I don't step on someone elses toes or perform some copyright infringement etc.
I sail on a relatively small local lake so it's unlikley I'll run into (bad choice of words) another boat with the same name, but still I'd like to try to be original if I can.
Is there any kind of registery, formal or otherwise on which people register their boats?
Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Go right ahead and name your boat anything. Boat names are not trade marked, nor do they need to be unique. There are probably two million boats out there named "Black Pearl" or "Second Wind".

I wouldn't (intentionally) name my boat after another one that I saw sailing by - especially not one on a small lake, and certainly not another Day Sailer, but that's just me.

I suggest that you become a member of the Day Sailer Association, the folks that, among other things, run this lovely website.

They will record your boat name (and sail number) in their membership register. In addition, you could add your boat's name and number to your signature on this website - you may have seen other people do that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Naming boat

Postby kokko » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 am

Consider the name "Breaking Wind"
DS1 Truelove
kokko

boat names

Postby dannyb9 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 pm

a tradition here in the lowcountry (port royal sc is old) is to name a vessel after the owner's wife or girlfriend. thus such names as bertha, betsea, sea hag, stormy, and others like golden hind, black pearl, etc are common. so are others like dawn, last chance, and sunset that connote life stages. i named one after my daughter blythe spirit. my x's boat was named sub deb. now i just call them generically: sunfish, daysailer, hobie, white canoe, outrigger, etc
dannyb9

appease poseidon

Postby danamags » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

it's my belief that re-naming a boat is bad luck (like re-naming a horse) - unless you make a sacrifice to poseidon.

though no specific protocol, the general tradition - as I understand it - is to make sure you get every reference to the old name of the boat, i.e. papers, old nameplate whatever, and burn them (or destroy them), you can even scatter the ashes for dramatic effect. poseidon loves the drama. then with this done in a small ceremony, you announce the new name and VOILA!

in our case, we had to burn a few emails printed out. it was a fun excuse to have some drinks (like we need an excuse...)

good times!
Turn-Ons: Yachting
Turn-Offs: Not Yachting
danamags

Re: Naming boat

Postby jdubes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 pm

kokko wrote:Consider the name "Breaking Wind"

LOL
jdubes

Postby algonquin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

"Breaking Wind" You gotta love it !!

Past boats I have had were named "Empty Pockets" and "Natural Bridge". Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby ctenidae » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 am

Named ours 28 cents because that's how much gas cost when she was built (1962), and she uses just as much now as she did then.

Tough to come up with a name that's not too cutsie uunless you have somethign meaningful. We thought about naming ours for the most common comments during rebuilding, but couldn't find stencils for $@&#*&$^#(*@!!!
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:17 pm

After 11 seasons, the idea that we might come up with a name seemed to us, well...

~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Naming boat

Postby hectoretc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

kokko wrote:Consider the name "Breaking Wind"

Hi kokko - I had that name on my list of names but I'd listed it as "Break'n Wind". Seems like a good choice. My wife even likes it (she hasn't exactly warmed up to the whole idea of the sailboat yet) so we take our baby affirmation steps where we can.

It's coming down to fall here in the fridged north (Minnesota) and there is still much repair/restoration to do on the DSII, so maybe over the winter I'll play with some fonts and formats to get it right, to have ready for the spring launch.

Thanks again all for the suggestions/confirmation/vote to help me choose!
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Previous owner....

Postby hectoretc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Forgot to mention this on the previous post...

I noticed today while I had my DSII careened sideways on the grass, that I could read the former name of my boat in the unfaded gelcoat on the back. (the letters weren't faded, everything else is)

BENNIE and the GEDDES... Anybody know Bennie (or his former boat)? I'd love to get some family history before we take on any serious surgery. It would appear there was an argument with some rocks, and Bennie lost, and the boat spent a fair amount of time sitting in some major mud, 3/4 full of water based on stain lines and other damage.

Just curious if Bennie is out there...
hectoretc

Postby Carlsbad81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 am

Among the titles that have already been suggested I would point out Breaking Wind and Viola (just like the way it sounds), and my suggestion will be plain but yet sounding effective and impressive - Victory.
Carlsbad81

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd suggest, for the married sailors anyway, that they not choose the name on a powerboat in my neighborhood: "Chick Magnet."
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Spotted a boat name I wish I'd thought of, while paddling around a marina over New Year's weekend: Temporary Assignment.

"Where've you been for the last six months?"
"On Temporary Assignment."
Alan

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 pm

You are temping the fates and the gods if you rename a boat. but sometimes it is necessary. sometimes, People just can't name a boat properly and she MUST be renamed...

Here are link to some proper rituals I'd suggest adapting them as you see fit, but keeping the fundamentals...

http://caribbean-pirates.com/naming_and_denaming_a_ship.php
http://www.bluewatersailing.com/documents/renamingceremony.pdf
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Next

Return to Miscellaneous