Hurricane coming up the east coast

Moderator: GreenLake

Hurricane coming up the east coast

Postby jdubes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

All this Hurricane news has given me visions of strong constant winds. Perfect conditions for a little downwind sleigh ride in a DSI. I might try to beat my latest down wind speed on a very shallow inland lake I live on. Yes I have issues, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Anyone have an extra mast I can put a deposit on? :D
jdubes

Postby Scott Mulford » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am

Leave the mast at home.. you won't need it.
Scott Mulford

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Having lived through hurricane Ike, I will tell you with some authority: Do not underestimate these things. They can kill you. They can make your life hell for a long time.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby ctenidae » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

I'm trying to decide how to rig for the blow. I'm moving the boat into the marsh on the lee side of our island, but the question is whether to leave the boom tent on or not. On increases windage, but keeps some rain out. Off lets the rain in, but reduces windage.

10 inches of rain straight in could be enought to swamp her, even with noodles in. The concern with windage is pulling the anchor or snapping a line, but if that happens she'll just blow onto shore ont eh back side- will eb a pain to recover, but will survive.

I think I've just talked myself into leaving the boomtent on, with additional tie-downs to keep it in place.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 pm

My advice:
Get The boat rigged as if your going to tow her on the interstate at 70 mph. All rigging and spars down and secure. Take all the running rigging off and store somewhere else safe. Take all items in the boat...hand bailers, anchors, et cetera out.
Leave nothing ton the boat that can flap. Get the boat somewhere that the storm surge won't reach, if possible. Otherwise, tie the trailer to something immoveable, like a big tree, or a reallly solid fence post. Make sure the boat is secure to the trailer. Any drain ports or Elvstroms you have in the hull, leave open to let rain/storm water out after it recedes. Try to make the location somewhere that if a tree trunk or branch or other large structure collapses that it won't hit the boat.

Most importantly... The boat is just a thing, although we view them as females ( for the most part :) ) Don't risk your life over that. There are other Day Sailers out there. There's only one of you.

Good luck, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, having been through Ike.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby jdubes » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm pulling this boat below tomorrow at 3:00.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37798105@N06/4855293209/in/set-72157623834620152

I hope all goes well, it was complete chaos at the docks today.
jdubes

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Good luck, work with each other.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby ctenidae » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 am

Came through just fine. I cleared everythng out of the boat, moved to the marsh, set two anchors, and that was that. I did leave the boom tent on, but tied it down with lines rinning criss-cross between the rear cleats and the jib sheet blocks.

Got about 6 inches of fresh water in it, and put it back on the mooring about 2pm yesterday.

All in all, a yawner of a storm for us, which is a very very good thing. The water was chest deep on some parts of the island, even an hour after high tide. We got nothing in our house, some others had as much as 2-3 feet.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby jdubes » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 am

Here's the wrath of Irene around 11:00 am Sunday. This wasn't even during the peak period of the storm. I didn't have time to pull it on Saturday so i had to do it on Sunday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37798105@N06/6092933838/

Oh and check out this site around the mid point of the home page. Look for Readers Photos on the left hand side. Just doing my part to promote the DSI :)

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/
jdubes

Return to Miscellaneous