anchor advice

Moderator: GreenLake

anchor advice

Postby navahoIII » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:22 am

I'm thinking a 8-12 lb anchor (Danforth type) is suitable for the DS. Does that sound about right? Advice on type and length of rode?
Thanks.
navahoIII

Postby ChrisB » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I have a 10 lb "danforth type" anchor and it is more than enough for my uses. I have 15' of chain on mine (only because I was given the chain and I've been too lazy to bother cutting it; half that would be enough for most uses). Rode length depends on the depth of water where you anchor. Where I sail, the water depth runs 10 - 15 feet so I have about 100' of 1/4" nylon.

A 5 lb Danforth will hold up to 17' boat in a 20 kt wind. A 14 lb Danforth will hold a 31' boat in a 20 kt wind. If your intended use is as a "lunch hook" you can get by with lighter tackle. If you plan to anchor the boat overnight, lean toward a heavier anchor and lone enough rode for 7:1 ratio to water depth.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:21 pm

What ChrisB writes.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 pm

What GL writes.

And just to confirm I use a 4 pound Danforth with a 4 foot chain and 150 feet of 3/8" rode and I am always amazed at how well it digs in mud bottoms. I often anchor in the same area for lunch. The area is known for poor holding, so known for it that a club across the bay installed a half dozen moorings so their members could eat and swim, etc. without worry. I've seen many boats drift by me when I'm there. Even once I didn't get a good hold at first. But I nearly always back down on the anchor (with the motor in reverse) to set it. For the overnight trips I anticipate I have a 9 pound claw on 8 feet of chain. I do find that the DS tends to 'sail' back and forth at anchor even with it's minimal windage.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby hectoretc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Question please... I commonly read about chains with anchors. What is the purpose, what does that do, as opposed to simply tying the anchor to a line?

Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm

hectoretc wrote:Question please... I commonly read about chains with anchors. What is the purpose, what does that do, as opposed to simply tying the anchor to a line?

Scott,

• a chain is more chafe proof - so if your anchorage has sharp rocks on the bottom, rope might not last long.
  • a chain is heavy - so it requires much stronger pull to be pulled straight. That does two things:
    1. it keeps the pull on the anchor more horizontal
    2. it cushions a sudden load on the anchor, because first, the chain has to be pulled taut
On the other hand:
  • a chain is not springy - so it comes taut with a jerk, whereas nylon rode would stretch a bit
  • a chain is heavy - so you don't want to carry too much of it on a small boat

For dropping a "lunch hook" many of these issues apply less than when you want to ride out a gale surrounded by a rocky shore in a big boat. The few times I've anchored the DS, a few feet of chain plus the balance in line is what I used. The chain may well have been overkill - in the senses that probably the DS was held entirely by the chain...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous