Who is a member of the Daysailer Association?

Moderator: GreenLake

Honk, if you are a member:

Poll ended at Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:00 am

I'm a DSA member (active in a fleet)
17%
I'm a DSA member (no fleet, independent)
50%
I'm definitely going to join
25%
I'm on the fence
8%
Not something for me
No votes

Total votes : 12

Who is a member of the Daysailer Association?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 am

I've looked in the member list for this forum just now, and, if the software doesn't lie, there are 161 people who have signed up as forum users in 2011.

This class is very generous in not tying forum membership to being a DSA member, but that's even more reason to consider joining class if you haven't.

161 new members would give a big lift to the DSA membership, but even a fraction of this would be welcome.

I'm not an officer of the association, just a member, and not even a long-term member at that. But I joined -- mainly in order to demonstrate my support for this forum.

I invite all of those who've who discovered and joined this forum recently, to do likewise - especially those of you who got good information, great advice and, dare I say it, excellent "service" here. You know who you are.

Now would be a good time to get your membership application in for 2012: Membership Application Form

I invite anyone who feels like it to make a "pledge" here in a reply, or to identify themselves as continuing DSA member. Or to discuss the topic pro's and con's of DSA membership.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 am

There's apparently a limit on the number of possible answers in a poll (but it doesn't show when you edit it). Therefore, the poll doesn't have the planned option: "I don't even have a DS, but I read the forum".

If you are here, because you like to keep up with boats outside your own class, why not add a reply below.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Skippa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 am

When I purchased my Daysailer 2 and a half years ago, I did it because the look of the boat appealed to me and having owned an O'Day Mariner 20 years ago I had confidence in the brand. When I found this forum it increased my satisfaction and enjoyment with my boat so much I felt I had to support this site. Well worth the price of admission. Thanks for being there for me !
Kevin
Skippa

Postby hectoretc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks GL - A very timely, relevant and meaningful suggestion.

Lord knows I've used up my free-bee share of digtal information here.
I've just printed the membership form (for the 4th time since discovering this site) and pledge I will write the check and send it in today, or tomorrow, definitely before the holidays... or when-ever I actually remember to do it.

Not that it makes a difference, but it does... For the information of the daysailer.org web-folks, if there had been a "web pay" option (even a Paypal transfer) I would have absolutely signed up and paid months ago.

I completely apprecate this site (can there be any doubt) but my challange is, once I'm offline, it requires that I remember to take that extra effort to find an envelope, a stamp (do we even have any?), figure out where my wife hid the checkbook etc.

OK, nuff said, message to self...
1. go find envelope,
2. go find checkbook
3. repeat as necessary until task complete

Thanks
Last edited by hectoretc on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Karl Teske » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am

I am a member having joined in August of this year. In late July I bought a 1972 DSII so I could teach my grand children how to sail and this forum has certainly given me a lot of information in upgrading and maintaining the boat, thank you all. Karl.
kayaker
Karl Teske

Postby Jett » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

Since I no longer own a DS, I didn't renew my membership, but will do so because many of the topics covered in this forum apply to other boats I sail, and I don't want to just freeload.
Jett Conner
Jett

Postby jeadstx » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 pm

I joined a couple months ago. Kept meaning to join for over a year. This forum is a great resource of information.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah, it's about time I joined - the membership dues are paid for many times over in expensive mistakes avoided because of information I read here. The stuff that worked out was just gravy. :)

The check is on the way.
Alan

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I want to thank those who are members and especially those who are not members of a fleet. The independents are a big percentage of the owners of the boat, and I wish we had more to offer you guys than a web site and a place to talk and learn about the boat. If you find you have a group of DS owners in an area, fele free ot contact the class secretary ans establis ha fleet, even if you atre not interested in racing. The Day Sailer is after all for a bunch of other things. Day Sailing, fleet sails, etc. I've made soem lifelong friends in the class and hope that others may be so fortunate.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby jdubes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:51 am

I plan on joining in 2012 and also plan in starting a fleet that covers a portion of Buzzards Bay in MA. I just need to get 1 additional DS person to establish the fleet through the Club I'm a member of.
jdubes

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:16 am

Joined the DSA earlier this year at the urging of a couple of other DS owners South of here who are/were trying to start/resurrect a fleet, even tho I don't normally race (twice in the 7 years The Red Witch has had me, and both of those were for charity).

Almost "unjoined" later in the year after some comments were made on this forum by a DSA officer that I felt were offensive to non-racers/cruisers/singlehanders, but I was convinced to reconsider by another, more rationally thinking, forum regular ...

... I "lurked" this forum for a long time before ever speaking up about much of anything, thinking I better listen before opening my yap, and I can sure say that as much as I'd like to *think* that I've added more wisdom than I've gained, I know that that's just a bunch of "smoke 'n' oakum". So, thanks for all the great info from everyone, and I hope I've been able to add a bit of usefulness to the discussions along the way, too ...
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 am

Just checked this thread again. It's now well north of 400 views, but only 11 answers... Do any of the 410 silent views represent serious (or was that serial) lurkers here?

Now would be a great time to (anonymously) leave an answer to the poll or to add a more detailed reply.

Speaking of memberships - does anyone know when the renewal forms will be out?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:26 pm

GreenLake wrote:Speaking of memberships - does anyone know when the renewal forms will be out?

I was expecting perhaps something included in the mailing for the Daysailer Quarterly, but that came with nothing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Just received my DS Quarterly, and in it Brooks writes that she is doing it differently this year, and sending them separately from the DSQ, as apparently that didn't work out too well last year ...
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Just got a letter today from Dave Keran and Brooks Measures in response to my membership application. Pretty cool - it included the latest Daysailer Quarterly, as well as a couple of back issues.

There's a mention in there of the Daysailer website. Sounds good. Maybe I should check it out.:)
Alan

Next

Return to Miscellaneous