DaySailer and Scuba Diving

Moderator: GreenLake

DaySailer and Scuba Diving

Postby ds diver » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am

Has anyone ever scuba dived off their daysailer? If so, was it difficult to get back on board?

Pro's and Con's of the process.
ds diver

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 am

Greetings DS Diver and welcome to the DaySailer forum.

I don't scuba dive (I have but I don't do it regularly as a hobby) but I don't see any reason you couldn't dive off of a daysailer. Others may think differently, and can offer their views, but my suspicion is the issue is more how to get back into the DS once you've finished your aquatic adventure. I've read several posts about people using a mask to go under and check their centerboard or other issues. Having flippers, wieght belt and a tank are just extensions of the same concept (I suppose to the extent that flying is merely an extension of jumping off the ground, but hopefully you get my meaning).

Given that and a number of discussions on this forum about capsizes and other water based excursions, I suspect a good many members have worked out a way to reboard from the water side, be the exit from the boat planned or not.

On that subject, here have been a number of discussions on this board regarding swim and/or boarding ladders (and other options) and rather than reproduce them here, I'll offer this search link that you can copy/paste into your favorite search engines search field.

site:daysailer.org "ladder"
-or-
site:daysailer.org "capsize"

That will return a list of forum topics in which people have commented or discussed various ladder or other boarding ideas. Again, others here with more experience may offer something more specific, but this will give you someplace to look for information while you're waiting for them to check in. If it doesn't work or from this search you don't find what you're looking for, please post back and we'll try again.

Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Scott Mulford » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 am

Scott Mulford

Thank you

Postby ds diver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Thank you both for the help and information. I will give it a shot and see how it works out.
ds diver

Return to Miscellaneous