keeping DS2 at dock with rains on the way

Moderator: GreenLake

keeping DS2 at dock with rains on the way

Postby Robbie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

hello, i will be leaving my DS2 at a lake dock for the next ten days without a cover. the forecast claims three days of rain within those days. therefore, my concern is the boat acting as rain bucket while im away for that time. should i keep the transom unplugged? or are there better methods appart from cover? any suggestions? im guessing three days of rain will provide at least a foot or more of water. thanks for any thoughts.
hi
Robbie

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:04 pm

The one time I let rain water collect in the cockpit of my DSII, a lot of it ended up in the bilge. I think it seeped through the threads of the inspection ports in the cockpit floor.
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 pm

When I get water collecting in my cockpit, it will get into the bilge thru the inspection ports also.

You could maybe secure an inexpensive tarp over the cockpit (secure like a boom tent) to reduce the amount of water collecting in the cockpit.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby hectoretc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Robbie,

If you are foolish enough to listen to suggestions from someone who's not yet had their boat in the water, it seems to me;

As Alan and jedstx suggest, a tarp or plastic sheet over your boom anchored to the gunwales makes sense, trying to keep as much water out as possible for starters.
For the water you can't keep out, definitely leave the cockpit overflow transom plug open so water can run out. If it were me (again, not knowing anything) I'd also transfer as much waterproof weight to the stern as possible (anchors, batteries, anvils, spare tire), trying to lower the transom in the water which should raise the bow somewhat. That will keep the water mostly pooling more in the stern, further pushing it down until the water runs out the cockpit drain. The less water forward, the less water to seep through the inspection ports.

That's my one cents worth...
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Skippa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Dont ask me how I know! With my DSII, I forgot to pull the plug after sailing one weekend and I did not have a boom tent at the time. When I got back to the boat a couple of days later the inner hull had a substatial amount of water in it, The drain plug was actually below the water level of the lake. I pullled the plug and the water streamed out the drain hole and back into the lake like it was comming out of a garden hose. There was some water in the bilge that required pumping but nothing too serious.
After that I became very good at removing the plug when leaving the boat and she stood thru many a rainstorm with no more water in the cockpit than a couple of gallons.
I now have a very nice boom tent but would not be overly concerned if I left her in the rain.........as long as I remember to pull that dang plug !
Kevin
P.S.
A little Vasaline around the O-Rings on the deck plates could go a long way to sealing the inspection ports!
Skippa

Postby Robbie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 am

thanks for the assistance. i had to leave earlier than expected so unable to act on the suggestions. i felt like pulling the plug made sense, but wanted to confirm as ive made mistakes with boating issues making sense before. yesturdays trace of rain drizzle provided four inches at stern, so im sure with the forecast, ill have plenty. threrefore, ill attempt a call the little desolate marina in hopes that someone is around and wouldnt mind walking out to remove that plug. thanks
hi
Robbie

Re: keeping DS2 at dock with rains on the way

Postby hectoretc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 am

Robbie wrote:hello, i will be leaving my DS2 at a lake dock for the next ten days without a cover. the forecast claims three days of rain within those days. therefore, my concern is the boat acting as rain bucket while im away for that time. should i keep the transom unplugged? or are there better methods appart from cover? any suggestions? im guessing three days of rain will provide at least a foot or more of water. thanks for any thoughts.

Hey Robbie - It's been 10 days. How did your boat fair in the rain? Was there more water in, or out of the boat?
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Robbie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 am

Several days of heavy rains and the results were six inches in cockpit and good bit in bulk head. Not as bad as I thought. Went to local department store , bought a simple Attwater pump. Left the self bailer plug , placed weight at transom and took the pump approx. two hours to empty the bulkhead water. Alls fine now. And.. So, I left again today for about a week, rain expected tomorrow and the next, so I've left the transom and self bailer plug out.
Ive ordered a cover , which I should apply on my return.
hi
Robbie

Return to Miscellaneous