Post launch-day blues

Moderator: GreenLake

Post launch-day blues

Postby talbot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I went out to enjoy my first after-work sail on my recently launched boat, only to find that someone had ripped off the solar charging system. Presumably they came in by boat (ignoring the locked marina gates) and snatched the equipment from my oh-so-conveniently placed Day Sailer II at the end of the first dock.

The wind was fine, and I didn't need to use the electric motor, but it was not the peaceful cruise I imagined. In the past, I've enjoyed the convenience of leaving the boat ready to go. No more. Fortunately the motor, rudder, tiller, and everything else was locked away in the cabin, and I suppose that's where it will have to stay from now on.

I am open to any suggestions on dock security.
talbot

Postby jeadstx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Hate to hear that. I have my solar cells mounted so they can be easily removed. I keep my boat on a trailer, so I probably don't have some of the same exposure that you might. It is a concern of mine tho when camp crusing if I tie up at a dock for the night and leave the boat.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby talbot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm

The situation was much worse than I imagined. Vandals ransacked four larger yachts, smashing their way into locked cabins and destroying the interiors. My solar panel was recovered from the local boat rental's utility skiff, which had been stolen and dragged up on a beach. We think it was kids, because they seemed to have no idea of worth. They passed over things of value, and when they did take something that could have been easily resold or used (like a solar panel), they just destroyed it on the spot. The only good thing, I suppose, is that the scale of vandalism was big enough to get the sheriff on the case and initiate a major upgrade of security.
talbot

Return to Miscellaneous