A "Fun" day on the pond.....

Moderator: GreenLake

A "Fun" day on the pond.....

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 04, 2000 10:19 pm

This afternoon, I came about as close to a blow over that you can have without it being a blowover. Scared me to death! Then, instead of letting the main sheet out to dump air out of the main sail, I just let go of the tiller... A REAL NO_NO!~~!~~! Back right of the boat went under for a second or two as I climbed up on the left side of the hull. Then the hull came slamming
back down and I had to fling myself back in the boat. Then it heeled over the other way on a hard tack and I just about got dumped again... Throwing this 240 lb, 6'1" body around like that ain't easy.

The poor couple that were following me were laughing so hard that I don't think they would have been able to save me.... I got steadied up and pointed the boat dead into the wind to get my wits back. They pulled up beside me and, through their tears, asked if I was alright. I said, "HELL NO!!!!". That got them laughing again, and crying. Then the seasoned old salt of a captain kindly let me know what I should have done, which was ease out the main sheet. I said, "NO SH*T, SHERMAN!!!".

I apologized for the language and tried to explain that, even though I KNEW WHAT to do, I froze and didn't know WHAT to do, so I said, "Here God, its all yours" and let go of the tiller. I don't think they heard me too well as they sailed off reaching for Kleenex as I reached for some toilet paper.

Dan Steill (d.steill-at-gte.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2000 6:45 pm

Today was much better. I learned how to handle the main sheet. No blow overs!

However, I do have a question for any of you experienced sailors out there. In 10 to 15 knot winds, the boat wants to tip over unless I sail with the main sail really out there, like having the end of the boom 2 to 3 feet out past the side of the boat. Don't get me wrong as she really moves like that. but, I was just wondering if that was normal or am I doing something stupid?

Dan steill

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2000 8:13 am

Dan,

Several things come to mind.

First, you don't mention having crew. If you don't, 15 knots is a LOT of wind and even at your 240 lbs you're going to have your hands full and you may be doing everything "right".

Second, when you are only able to get the boom "2 to 3 feet out past the side of the boat" are you sailing up wind (beating), across the wind (beam reach), or off the wind (broad reach)? In that kind of wind, only while beating should you be able to get the boom much inside the rails of the boat. On a beam reach, you may be sheeted a little loose, but if you're solo that may be as much power as you can handle. For a broad reach you'd have the sail set about right...

The third thing, do you have a hiking stick (tiller extension) and are you hiking out on the rails? These two things will help you handle a lot more wind--especially if you are sailing solo...

If you do regularly sail in higher winds, you might consider having a sailmaker sew in a set of reef points into your main. You could also buy a smaller jib to serve as a storm jib, but I'd start w/ reefing the main if you want to depower your sails.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX (where 15+ knot sailing can be had often)

kevin clark (kevin.clark-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:39 am

Man, am I sore today! never thought that sailing was an atheletic event! I am 51 yrs old and I guess I am out of shape. That will change quickly I think.

I am going to install a boom vnag as I am told that, from what I have read, it will help the boat be more predictable.

Yes, I was beating up wind. I try to stay on a pretty tight beat on winds like that. I found out rather quickly that beam reaches required the sail to be really out there. I can get the boom all the way out to the side stay with no problem which I did yesterday on some broach reaches (wind behind to the side). That was fun as the boat really scooted along.

I do not have a hiking stick. I need one. But, I also need a new tiller arm so that is a winter project.
I do sail alone and toe straps with the hiking stick would make a big difference I think.

Lowering the sail on the mast also seemed to help but I did not like that as I am 6' 2" and do not like getting hit in the head by the boom! All I know is that I do not like the way the jib has to be worked when sailing alone. I have to figure out a better way. Then again, with a hiking stick, it might not be a problem....

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 08, 2000 9:33 pm

Dan
You might find the two threads in the "Rigging" category on this discussion group entitled, respectively, "Roller reefing the main" and "Reefing Claws: are there any out there" useful. They discuss one of the fine features built into most DS's. I have found that learning to use this method of reducing the square footage of canvas out there has really helped me keep from exercising my swimming skills. With reduced main and full jib I find my DS2 quite manageable although I generally sail solo (and I am a bit slighter than 6'2" & 240). I do have hiking stick and toe straps and need 'em.
Fair winds Felix.

Felix Graham-Jones (felix.graham-jones-at-snet.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:33 am

Felix, pleas tell me about the toe straps... what material to use and how to attach... please that is!

Thanks
Dan

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2000 11:58 am

I sail singlehanded 99% of the time, and on Buzzards Bay (Massachusetts) 10-15 knots of wind is just a normal day of sailing! I have a hiking stick, and you would not beleave the difference between having 190# of skipper on the rail instead of on the cockpit seat!
I also have a set of reefpoints in my mainsail ($67 from local sailmaker) and found out long ago that the first "reef" is to simply drop the jib (or not put it up). A boom-vang is also a big help, preventing the boom from lifting and thus flattening the sail. I also learned very quickly that you ALWAYS sail a centerboard boat like the DS with the mainsheet in your hand, use the camcleat to hold the tension...but keep the sheet in your hand so that you can instantly pop it out of the cleat and spill the wind.
Oh, I still do not have hiking straps, the combined pull of the tiller extension (hiking stick) and the mainsheet has been enough to keep me balanced on the windward sidedeck so far.
With all these precautions....I have never come close to capsizing, I've taken water over the side....but have never gone over.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous