trailer extension

Moderator: GreenLake

trailer extension

Postby John on the Vineyard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has made an extension or such like to allow the trailer to get further into the water. A combination of low water and a short wheel based tow vehicle, (Rav 4) is making it difficult to launch the DS1. I did a search of the forum and did not come up with anything, even though I'm sure I read a thread on it a (long) while back.

TIA, John on the Vineyard. :D
John on the Vineyard

Extension

Postby kokko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I made one about a year ago for two 2x2's glued and screwed together. I had to drill for the ball, and chisel out for the tongue. You also something to secure the extension midline on the trailer so it does not pivot.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby adam aunins » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm

If I was to make something like that I would want it to slide into the current tongue and stow there. That way when you needed it you could just pull a few pins and slide it out.

At one of the clubs I sail out of they have a square tube extension that is about 12' long with a ball and wheels on one end and a coupler on the other. Once you have your boat almost into the water you chalk the wheels un-hook fronm yoiur truck and hook the extension in and back it the rest of the way in. This is something used on bigger keel boats.
adam aunins

Postby jdubes » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

I made one out of a Rhodes 18 mast, it's aluminum so it's lite. I also use it as a gin pole for my larger boat to raise the mast.

One end has this - You connect this to your RAV 4

The other has this with a ball on it. - You connect this to your trailer

I use it all the time to launch and pull my larger sailboat. It works like a charm.
jdubes

Postby Breakin Wind » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 am

Jdoorly made a pretty creative extension for his trailer. He and a few others posted descriptions and some photos here:

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopi ... ght=#18815

Good luck!
Breakin Wind

Postby jdoorly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:50 pm

I finally got some pix of my trailer extension today. The 8 foot long square tube ($45) fits inside the existing tongue, tongue is 3" square and the extension is 2.5".
[thumb=1344] [thumb=1345]

I've tried several kinds of pins but will stay with these from Harbor Freight ($5)- they are the only ones with enough leverage!

The white block is my first try at stopping the extension before it fell out of the tongue. It worked OK but I had to get the holes in the extension past it before I could move it over a hole where it would deploy a pin into a hole just before the extension fell out. It worked perfectly every time but it was scary to watch. I'm much happier with the cable stop. There is a turnbuckle to fine tune where the extension stops and I can just pop in the pins. I removed the white block stopper right after I took this pic.

I used to get my car quite wet when launching (actually got the front carpet wet once), but with the extension, which is effectively 6 ft 7 ins, my back tires don't get wet. I use a wheel chock to hold the trailer while I move the car to ploy or deploy it.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:05 pm

That's downright elegant, Jay.

I've been trying to come up with a compromise length for the tongue. Sometimes we've got a canoe on top of the tow vehicle sticking out the back, sometimes not. A tongue that's adjustable for towing length, as well as for launching on shallow ramps, would be perfect.
Alan

trailer extension

Postby John on the Vineyard » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks for the good ideas everybody. I think I'll go the keep it simple stupid route for right now and just make one out of a couple of 2 x 4s. This winter though, I can see whipping up one of those nifty internal sliding ones. :)

Thanks again!

John on the Vineyard
John on the Vineyard
19?? Oday Daysailer
John on the Vineyard

Return to Miscellaneous