Re-trailering from a yard launch

Moderator: GreenLake

Re-trailering from a yard launch

Postby tuntini31 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi, I was wondering how one would re-trailer there boat (Daysailer II) from a yard launch. Currently I dont have a tow vehicle available so hopefully there is a solution that doesn't involves moving the trailer with the car.

Is it simply getting enough people to lift the boat and slide it on?
bunk trailer
Thanks
daysailer II
tuntini31

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 pm

My trailer has a "break back" feature (it hinges). That allowed me to tilt the rear down while loading the DS from the ground. Made all the difference. But I think I had the car attached. Can't remember.

W/o car, you might need to tilt the trailer axle up, so that the winch pulls in a straight line as the boat goes back. Would not surprise me to see the winch pulling the trailer under the boat instead of the boat onto the trailer. That's OK, as the tires have less resistance than the hull on the ground.

Also, you may need to use a 2x4 or something to leverage the bow up until you can get the first roller under it.

Some trailer configurations might require that the boat is lifted first onto some supports, which you take out one by one as the trailer slides under the boat. Experiment.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tuntini31 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:12 pm

ok thanks greenlake. I just figured i might ask and see if anyone had any proven methods. My trailer is all bunk and no rollers except i guess one rubber one almost all the way in the front.

Ill experiment as you said. Thanks for the help.
daysailer II
tuntini31

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 am

Good luck! I would probably try something like supporting the keel near the CB to tip the DS up (and tip the trailer down) so that you can get the bunks to support some of the hull, before winching everything home.

Curious to find out what you'll discover will work for your trailer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tuntini31 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok so re-trailered the boat today. Its been off the trailer for a long time in between repairs.

Ended up tipping the trailer down as far as it could go and had my dad and brother and I lift the front of the boat and pull it onto the trailer far enough for the bunks to support part of the hull.

Then my brother and I lifted the back of the boat after putting blocks under the trailer to prevent it from moving as my dad winched and it pulled the boat right on.

Haven't gotten it in the water yet since finding it on the side of the road on my way to school a year ago. Finally fixed it up and am excited to get it in the water!
daysailer II
tuntini31

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Cool!

The DS is definitely a three person boat when it comes to manually shifting it. Took three of us to flip her to paint the hull without any mechanical advantage of any kind.

Enjoy the rest of the season on the water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous